Fram SureGrip coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
changed the oil on my 3.0 Ranger today, I've used mostly Fram filters ranging from the Extra Guard to the Ultra. The oil filter is in close proximity to the driver side exhaust manifold and cat, so it must be exposed to a good bit of heat. Upon removing the Tough Guard filter, I noticed that most of the coating was very bubbly. It was not bubbly at all when I installed the filter 4k miles ago. I did run the truck a bit harder this oci, shifting high into the rev range most of the time, which will obviously generate excess heat. I'm assuming its nothing other than the heat from the exhaust that caused this, but could it possibly be something else? The paint and metal on the can seemed fine, just the coating was bubbly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
changed the oil on my 3.0 Ranger today, I've used mostly Fram filters ranging from the Extra Guard to the Ultra. The oil filter is in close proximity to the driver side exhaust manifold and cat, so it must be exposed to a good bit of heat. Upon removing the Tough Guard filter, I noticed that most of the coating was very bubbly. It was not bubbly at all when I installed the filter 4k miles ago. I did run the truck a bit harder this oci, shifting high into the rev range most of the time, which will obviously generate excess heat. I'm assuming its nothing other than the heat from the exhaust that caused this, but could it possibly be something else? The paint and metal on the can seemed fine, just the coating was bubbly.

I have a Fram OCOD on deck for my Ranger 3.0. I’ll see how mine does, I’ll try to remember to report back.

I've seen this many times with filters in close proximity to high heat, totally normal. Its just the "grip" coating they use that can't take the excessive heat. Doesn't affect the filter whatsoever.

Seems to me if it's hot enough to bubble up the filter coating, it must be warming up the oil in the filter as well.
Maybe good in the winter , not so good in the summer.
That's a flawed design.JMHO

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Seems to me if it's hot enough to bubble up the filter coating, it must be warming up the oil in the filter as well.
Maybe good in the winter , not so good in the summer.
That's a flawed design.JMHO

Without pic's I don't know how close it mounts to the exhaust, But just a suggestion, take it or leave it.
I would maybe put a piece (cover half the filter) of this duct insulation click here for a barrier between the filter and exhaust and secure it with this duct tape click here

I have used the Fram filters with the grip coating on many different vehicles and have NEVER had it bubble up or fall off. I believe if it is getting that hot is is hurting your engine too.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima

It's an engine exhaust system design issue ... routed too close to the oil filter. The black coating will absorb more heat than if the filter was white or chromed.

Could wrap the filter in aluminum foil to stop the radiative heat transfer from the close exhaust pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back