Mopar OEM and Fram Ultra Oil filters, '18 Jeep JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first pic is the Mopar OEM filter that was installed from the factory. It had 2k miles on it with the factory fill oil, which I'd guess is Pennzoil Gold 0w20. The Mopar filter pleats look twisted even when new. This one looked just like three new ones I inspected at Wal Mart. I'm guessing it was made by Purolator. Anyway, it looked good and didn't have any real visisble gunk in it from break-in. The pleats do seem a little fuzzy, but didn't appear to be fraying or compromised in any way. There were no tears, either.
pJEo1Ew.jpg

Here is the Fram Ultra XG11665, which replaced the Mopar M349. The Fram's consistently have almost perfectly straight pleats when new. The first pic is new, and the 2nd is with about 3,300 miles on it. This one had Mobil 1 EP 0w20 flowing through it. The pleats themselves look excellent, as expected, with no fraying or fuzziness. My surprise was that there was some twist in the Fram when it came out. I'm surprised because I thought the metal mesh supports within the pleats would make it very strong. I guess this engine loves to wring out its filters!
gRSNKTc.jpg

gkLpxdQ.jpg

My thoughts are that the twisting is normal and no big deal. I may try a Mobil 1 filter, to see how it holds up, but I've got great confidence in the Fram. My next oil change will certainly see more miles. I'd guess it will have 4k to 4500k for the next OCI. I'd run it much longer, but I'm taking it off-roading in Colorado and Moab in October, so it will get changed before that trip, regardless of mileage. The current fill is Mobil 1 AP 0w20.

The Fram Ultra for the Pentastar uses a plastic mesh like the Purolator Boss, and it is made in South Korea. A different design than other Ultras.

Yeah, that OEM Mopar does look like a Purolator
crazy2.gif
Chrysler may have switched contracts, because they used to be made by Hengst. The Hengst part number is E721H

Wix makes a wire-backed XP filter for this application. The Wix XP part number is WL10010XP, or Napa Platinum 4100010. It is made in the US (most XP cartridges are made in Poland)

I'm going to open up the pleats on the Fram. While it does have a plastic framing in the center, it shows on the box a cutaway of the pleats, revealing the metal mesh backing. I'll get into it and will see if what is shown on the box is the reality.

What is the efficiency of the Wix/Napa, or do they publish it?

The illustration on the box is just a generic image. Most Ultras do use wire-backed pink media, but not this particular application. The metal would be where the plastic mesh is on yours. TheXG11665 looks a lot like a Purolator Boss, even though Puro doesn't make a Boss for this application (and their parent company Mann makes Hyundai/Kia OE filters in their Korean factory)

I have no idea about the Wix XP/Napa Platinum efficiency, as it is a relatively new filter (they just released the Pentatsar cartridge every recently). It is probably not as efficient as the Ultra, but it will be stronger due to the wire backing.

Congratulations On the JL,love the new body style,and how easy the windshield folds down,but for filters what about a Napa gold 10001,seems to be a good choice,

Unrelated,but when you turn your air conditioning on max is there a super loud fan that kicks on? Heard one in the parking lot the other day, Just curious if they are all like that

Every Car I've owned that used a cartridge filter, I've gone with K&N and Baldwin. They come out with absolutely no waves. I changed the oil in my Z4 2 days ago, Baldwin filter was as straight as the day I put it in- 9 months and 10k ago.

My OE filters looked exactly like yours coming out of my 2016 Rubicon. I went with the Fram Ultra as well this time. Where did you see the Mobil 1 filter? I haven't looked recently, about a year or so ago when I looked they were just about non-existent. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The illustration on the box is just a generic image. Most Ultras do use wire-backed pink media, but not this particular application. The metal would be where the plastic mesh is on yours. TheXG11665 looks a lot like a Purolator Boss, even though Puro doesn't make a Boss for this application (and their parent company Mann makes Hyundai/Kia OE filters in their Korean factory)

I have no idea about the Wix XP/Napa Platinum efficiency, as it is a relatively new filter (they just released the Pentatsar cartridge every recently). It is probably not as efficient as the Ultra, but it will be stronger due to the wire backing.

That makes sense. I think the Wix would be efficient enough. Even though I don't think the twisting caused any issue, I'd still rather not have it do that. Mobil 1 also says theirs has metal mesh support. Do you know if that is actually the case?

I always supposed that filter elements were made a bit too long to "seal better" and a little waviness was.....hmmmm..OK or inevitable.

I readily admit to having no data.

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
Congratulations On the JL,love the new body style,and how easy the windshield folds down,but for filters what about a Napa gold 10001,seems to be a good choice,

Unrelated,but when you turn your air conditioning on max is there a super loud fan that kicks on? Heard one in the parking lot the other day, Just curious if they are all like that

Thanks, and yes, the fan is powerful and loud, but only on the max setting. If you dial the climate control fan down just one or two notches, the radiator fan backs off and quiets down. It doesn't bug me, because when I'm running full cold, my windows and top are up and I can't really hear it, even with the soft top. It also cools the engine VERY well, which will be of use when crawling off road in very hot places. The A/C is ice cold, btw, too!

Originally Posted By: montero1
Every Car I've owned that used a cartridge filter, I've gone with K&N and Baldwin. They come out with absolutely no waves. I changed the oil in my Z4 2 days ago, Baldwin filter was as straight as the day I put it in- 9 months and 10k ago.

Wal Mart actually carrys the K & N. It looks like it is of quality construction. Any word on filtration efficiency?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My OE filters looked exactly like yours coming out of my 2016 Rubicon. I went with the Fram Ultra as well this time. Where did you see the Mobil 1 filter? I haven't looked recently, about a year or so ago when I looked they were just about non-existent. Thanks.

Wal Mart. They've got a good selection. They have the basic Fram, Mopar, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, and K&N. There might be another brand or two, as well. I'll look next time I'm in there.

I just find it funny that the Mopar's come pre-twisted. Maybe that's to lower expectations upon its removal. Lol!

That filter looks very similar to my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited filter. The Jeep has the 3.6 engine and I used a Mobil 1 filter from Walmart last time because it was the same price as the Mopar filter. I don't recall having that many waves in my previous Mopar filters.

Wix makes a wire-backed XP filter for this application. The Wix XP part number is WL10010XP, or Napa Platinum 4100010. It is made in the US (most XP cartridges are made in Poland)

Anyone here try the WIX one yet? I did a search and didn't see anything yet.

The last mopar filter I put in the glue job looked kinda sloppy.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CrAlt

frown.gif

The XP just came out and just arrived on store shelves. But you can try it for us
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: CrAlt

frown.gif

The XP just came out and just arrived on store shelves. But you can try it for us
banana2.gif

OK ill see if NAPA has it yet.
Looked at Orileys and they want 17bux. special order.

Napa is having a sale on their Platinum filters this month. Spin-on cans are $8.99, while the cartridges are $13.99. But for some reason, the sale price isn't showing up on the Platinum for your Pentastar. I emailed Napa to ask them why.

But rock Auto has it at a good price, about $10 plus shipping.

Napa is having a sale on their Platinum filters this month. Spin-on cans are $8.99, while the cartridges are $13.99. But for some reason, the sale price isn't showing up on the Platinum for your Pentastar. I emailed Napa to ask them why.

But rock Auto has it at a good price, about $10 plus shipping.

You ever think you're getting way less in a cartridge why should it be $5 more?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back