Internet Sales Tax O.K.ed by Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense. Lower corporate taxes, increase taxes on the working class. Whats not to love.

"States stand to gain billions of dollars with the ruling" which they'll promptly waste.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Makes sense. Lower corporate taxes, increase taxes on the working class. Whats not to love.

"States stand to gain billions of dollars with the ruling" which they'll promptly waste.

Amen

Government wanting money is the story here.

And candidly.. understandable.

Also goes to show people want to pay as little as possible. Which is why the black market Mary Jane is doing well in Washington state. If I'm right the same there wants 30% or slightly more tax on it. Ask too much and... And people will find away around it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Government wanting money is the story here.

And candidly.. understandable.

Also goes to show people want to pay as little as possible. Which is why the black market Mary Jane is doing well in Washington state. If I'm right the same there wants 30% or slightly more tax on it. Ask too much and... And people will find away around it.

To be fair, taxing something so heavily that literally grows in dirt is a tough sell. It works because it makes it easier for people to get it. Its really a convenience tax. I wouldn't resort to buying from other sources, but i'd surly buy some miracle grow, an LED light and some seeds
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Was anyone seriously expecting this not to happen eventually?
And it won't make brick and mortar stores any more viable.

Yeah it had to happen eventually...but it looks like States can get the tax they would have otherwise gotten at a brick n mortar store.

Seems to me like this takes away an advantage of online buying, so the local stores are on a more even footing.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Seems to me like this takes away an advantage of online buying, so the local stores are on a more even footing.

How so? Online pricing will still be way lower, and a lot of the stuff I buy online isn't available locally anyway.

some vendors were already charging tax even IF not from a brick+ mortar location in my state, the big A comes into question here!!!

How so? Online pricing will still be way lower, and a lot of the stuff I buy online isn't available locally anyway.

Yep. We spend a fair amount on Amazon simply because what we're looking for isn't available locally. Amazon has been adding state tax for some time, but the local sales tax is still not being added online. Brick & mortar can't compete in straight up retail, there has to be some sort of value added for enough people to make a trip instead of click to survive. A parts store with really good staff is value added for lots of DIYers.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Get your rush orders into RockAuto soon! . . .

Just ordered some sparkplugs from Rock Auto. Keep in mind I'm in Canada. They automatically charged the Canadian GST (General Sales tax) that is applicable in all provinces but did not charge the British Colombia provincial sales tax even though its getting mailed to BC.

It's often not cheaper online. Warehousing, shipping, and staff still costs money. And instead of employing your neighbors (B&M) you employ people somewhere else. I'd rather pay $1 more and keep my neighbors employed.

What makes no sense to me is the fact that unless the online retailer has a physical presence in the state they aren't utilizing the services that state/local taxes pay for. Namely law enforcement, fire and infrastructure. Why should they?

My friend's wife always complains about people buying online that we need to support local businesses for tax purposes, the problem is whenever I'm looking for that one thing locally it can't be had.

I'm old enough to remember the days before sales tax was invented in NY state. It started at 2% (mid 1960's or so) and now is pushing 9% in most counties.

I am hardly surprised by the ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back