Best Oil For Late Model Toyota V6 Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For late model (2015 - present) Toyota V6 engines - what oil type , weight and OCI's are you running ? ...Any issues with the Toyota V6's being hard on oil ?

I would at the very least start out with the owner's manual recommended oil & frequency/OCI. From there, I might sway just a bit according to what ENGINEER60 mentioned about driving style/habits & climate/terrain.

Your owners manual specs 0w20, but suggests 5w30 would work if you can’t find 5-30, but says go back to 0-20 when you can find it. You’ll find plenty of testimony that 0w20 works just fine. You’ll also find plenty of people who blame the 0w20 spec on CAFE gas mileage requirements and recommend 5w30.
smile.gif

Last edited:
It's a Toyota, it's very picky.

Umm, not really. Whatever V6 you are looking at, I bet you'll find from 0W20 to 15W40 if you look at what all markets are using. I wouldn't worry about it, not unless if you are looking for 30k OCI's.

Put the owner's manual recommended viscosity in it, probably 0w-20, which are nearly all synthetic oils, change it every 5-10K miles, and that V-6 will go 300K miles.

If its a chain timing system and it has cast in head exhaust manifolding it will be HARD on oil regardless of the manufacturer. Smaller sumps will make it hard on the oil. Anything over 75hp/L could be hard on the oil. Last I knew Toy engines wsre belt with waste spark ignition. rev

Just run a good oil near the recommended grade. And a good filter. Is factory good - not ALWAYS in my recent experience as many "genuine" service parts are not same as OE factory (cost driven).

Now you have to find a good oil.

I find 10w30 QSUD non dexos unbeatable these days for your 4-7K oci.

Last edited:
Certain coolant flow patterns through the block and heads can make it easier on the oil. IIRC some old toy 4 bangers had hot spots above the exhaust runners in the head that would coke oil. Design flaw. 2.2L? maybe

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For late model (2015 - present) Toyota V6 engines - what oil type , weight and OCI's are you running ? ...Any issues with the Toyota V6's being hard on oil ?

From what I understand, these NA port injected V6 engines are easy on oil.

Good comments so far; as far as thick vs thin discussion I wanted to work up some sort of data rather than just speculate. So right now it is 5w20, then I will run 5w30 and compare UOAs.

IMO a 30 weight oil is fine, since specified elsewhere and the original oil for this model engine (albeit the single vvtt)

Chris I think your best bet would be a major brand 5w20 synthetic.It obviously gets pretty hot in GA and the 5w20 is quite a stable oil and you'll be close to the required oil grade for recent Toyota models

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Chris,
Is this a V6 car engine of truck engine? Just curious.
*Truck.

Not late models but both of our'08 RAV4 3.5l V-6 call for 5W30 under all conditions. I would use what the owner's manual and oil fill cap say in your case.

Toyota back-speced the GR series and the MZ series to use xx-20s and for the most part they don't complain. I'd still use a stout synthetic in the MZ series though.

The more important part is keeping the oil changed regularly. There are a ton of Toyota V6s running the cheapest bulk 5W-30/5W-20 and filter seeing service as rentals/taxis/Ubers and while Toyota did miscalculate oil on the sludge monster MZ-series V6, if they really made a stink on oil they would issue a SSC and have labels/documentation to use an better oil(like an ACEA A3/B3 oil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back