Lawn Tractor Tire Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a slow leak in a tubeless tire on a Sears YTS300. I have seen several videos where guys use latex caulk and anti-freeze to make their own tire sealer. It is much less expensive than the "slime" or equivalent I've seen. Have any of you tried the latex caulk and anti-freeze mix before?

Try a can of Fix-a-Flat
27.gif

My local Tractor Supply sells a rather generic looking gallon sized jug of lawn tire sealant for around $16. Brand starts with a "B" and it has good ratings online.

A jug of antifreeze and some caulk should cost around $14, but you can pay $2 more for the real deal, so...

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Tube it.

Agreed.

I have tubes on all four corners of my old Wheelhorse and they never leak.

I purchased the larger container of Slime at Walmart. It's worked quite well over the last few years. It was enough to do my JD GT235 garden tractor, my pressure washer tires and my hand truck tires.

IMG_9387.JPG

Last edited:
Fill them with Slime and never worry about it again! I've had tires so dryrotted it oozed out the cracks in the sidewall and still held air! Tubes are a PITA and take too much time!

Thanks guys! I have the latex caulk and the anti-freeze therefore no "cost" so to speak. The slime is 14.00 here, and the fix-a-flat is 11.00. I was just hoping that someone had tried the youtube solution and had some real world experience with it.

I will likely just take the tire to my local repair place as they patch tubeless tires for existing customers free anyway, but I saw the video and it seemed like a quick short term repair.

I have seen a video for a product called Tire Ject .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZrOMLJUys

Some rough language on most of his videos , so you may wish to turn the sound off .

I personally have never used this product .

I have heard slime will rust steel wheels . Do not know .

Again , I would put a tube in it and go on .

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
My local Tractor Supply sells a rather generic looking gallon sized jug of lawn tire sealant for around $16. Brand starts with a "B" and it has good ratings online.

A jug of antifreeze and some caulk should cost around $14, but you can pay $2 more for the real deal, so...

I think you are referring to Berryman Tire Seal-R. It works. When I had my store we used Rotary Tire Sealant, it always worked well. What the OP should be looking for is a tractor tire sealant. This is what the farmers/ranchers use. It works much better than slime in tractor tires.
Putting a tube in the tire is a waste of time and money.

If I have a troublesome ope tire, it gets a tube every time and then I never have to worry about it again. My previous tractor had problems, tubed all four tires and years later I sold it without any further problems.
The tire shop I go to hates it when you bring in a tire that has had slime or some such sealant in it, since it's a pain to clean up and repair.

Slime is a PITA. It works great for a few years, but then gradually stops sealing as well, and turns to muck inside the tire making a huge mess. I put tubes in tires now, after learning my lesson. I bought some tire spoons on ebay for $11 and they are worth every penny.

Tubes here in my part of Texas are of no use against goat heads, mesquite thorns and gum bully(chittamwood) thorns. The only way we can make it work is a liquid sealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back