Koreans top J.D. Power qlty; Ford, GM, FCA make strides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Porsche at 4th place?

Some brands at the bottom have been some of the most reliable cars I ever owned.

Originally Posted By: Danno
These are initial quality ratings, any info on 3 years old cars as an example?

Plenty of anecdotal evidence on here.......for cars that are three years and beyond. It's mentioned on various topics on this froum just about every day.

Last edited:
Wow, Jeep tied Toyota and beat Honda. I know this...My 2018 JL Wrangler was early production of a new design and one of the first batch of manual transmissions. Being from FCA, people told me the sky would fall and this thing would implode in a giant cascade of problems. I haven't had a single problem, so far, and I've found only one quality issue, which was a very minor smudge of adhesive that dripped onto the side of the hard top. That's it. I only found it because I was meticulously handwaxing the Jeep. Anyway, I hope it won't start having issues now that I've said this. I've got about 5700 miles on it now and it drives/runs/feels like a dream. My hat is off to FCA. My Jeep is off to a great start!

My Ford Transit is a giant POS, btw. I love the engine, drivetrain, and overall design, but man the little things just keep falling apart. It has a flawed driveshaft coupling design, has had a serious seat belt recall, and bits and pieces and rubber seals keep falling off and breaking. I've never had a vehicle with so many issues. It also goes through brakes like Liz Taylor went through husbands. It was also an early production new design vehicle when we bought it. Jeep absolutely burried Ford in execution when comparing the two. No contest.

#6. Chevrolet
#20. GMC

There is NOT a GMC model that's built on it's own platform, Unless a bunch of people had their Denali badge fall off.....This list makes little sense!

Maybe GMC owners are more picky...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Maybe GMC owners are more picky...
21.gif

Actually, that can be the difference. It is based on reported problems. Different demographics can look at things differently, and report accordingly. That said, different plants producing the same designs can vary greatly in quality.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Interesting, Porsche at 4th place?

Some brands at the bottom have been some of the most reliable cars I ever owned.

To have them 4th, rankings clearly ignored price … and therefore is not about value …

Also, every person I know with a Porsche has two other vehicles and keeps the miles off the toy …
(does not trailer with it either)

Originally Posted By: Danno
These are initial quality ratings, any info on 3 years old cars as an example?

That's a separate survey, the Vehicle Dependability Study.

This, the IQS, asks about issues during the first 90 days. In the past, such "issues" could include whether an owner's mug doesn't fit into the cup holder, or if the radio wasn't loud enough. JDP was criticized for that and made adjustments to the questioning, but how much I don't know.

Keep in mind these are marketing research surveys, whose participants are the general public.

They may see things differently, and have a different knowledge base than say, those here.

I've been running my '12 Kia Optima SX (modified) for almost six years now as my daily driver. EXCELLENT quality and I've been impressed. As an engineer, I can see how Kia has improved as I was also the owner of a very used 2002 Kia Optima. Night and day difference.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Am the only one who can't find Chrysler anywhere on that list?

They still have two models, right?

Tied with Mitsubishi, here's the complete list.

Brand rankings

1. Genesis

2. Kia

3. Hyundai

4. Porsche

5. Ford

6. Chevrolet

7. Lincoln

8. Lexus

8. Ram

10. Nissan

11. BMW

12. Cadillac

12. MINI

14. Infiniti

14. Mercedes-Benz

16. Buick

17. Jeep

17. Toyota

19. Dodge

20. Acura

20. GMC

22. Mazda

23. Honda

24. Volkswagen

25. Audi

26. Chrysler

26. Mitsubishi

28. Subaru

29. Volvo

30. Jaguar

31. Land Rover

Source: J.D. Power 2018 Initial Quality Study

Oh God, JD Power and their initial quality.
I remember first Hyundai Sonata's from Montgomery, cannot see one on the road anymore or second generation from Montgomery. And I think that second generation Sonata looked nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Oh God, JD Power and their initial quality.
I remember first Hyundai Sonata's from Montgomery, cannot see one on the road anymore or second generation from Montgomery. And I think that second generation Sonata looked nice.

I see them everywhere in Miami. No need to pray to God for that.
whistle.gif

I'm sure the vast majority of models today will run dependably for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back