My FIL in hospice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 YO FIL is now on his final journey.
This is a man born in August 1918, who came of age in the Great Depression and then served in the CBI theatre in the Second World War with the Army Air Corps.
He saw six children born as well as five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He also suffered the loss of his wife when she was only sixty as well as the loss of a son in his early twenties.
I've known the guy since 1981, having met him shortly after meeting the woman who would become my wife, she having apparently decided this before I did.
He was playing cards and speaking as recently as Monday, but then collapsed suddenly.
He was transported to hospital where he was found to have pneumonia as well as sepsis, the latter not very treatable in anyone, much less a guy of 99.
He was fully functional and even driving up until 95 YO, at which time he gave up driving on his initiative.
I visited him today and it was sad to see a once strong and vigorous man on a one way journey with no hope of reprieve.
He's pretty unresponsive now, but I grabbed his foot and spoke to him and he may have gotten what I said to him even if he couldn't respond.
I told him who I was, that I was glad to see him, that I hoped I had been a good husband to his daughter and that he had had both the privilege and the joy of having seen so much in his long and full life. In parting, I told him to rest easy.
Godspeed old man.

Tough deal sir.... Feel for you and your family. Take care of yourself and your lady. And know this...he heard you. Hearing is the last sense held by those close to leaving our world. So, he heard you. Guaranteed.

I just had a person 110 yrs old plus pass away in my place. That was a amazing lady.

Sorry to hear that. Someone told me that Pneumonia is an old person's friend. Hopefully that is a true statement and he is at peace.

He indeed lived a very long and full life. Getting to mid-90's in his condition is well-done. I'm willing to bet he appreciates the touch even if unable to acknowledge it. Not all communication is verbal.

Godspeed...

Many times... It's aspiration pneumonia. People eventually lose the ability to eat and swallow well. This leads to aspiration pneumonia. Between this and urosepsis are the two main reasons why people at older age get sick. Very very common. Hard to watch a bit. I had a lady who was 110, she still ate just fine, could still stand and transfer herself to the wheelchair, still could make to the bathroom most every time. Truly remarkable.

Guys... On a serious note... It's a heck of an honor to have a lady who is say mid 80s or very late 90s or even early 100s tell you they love you. And they know and you know that their time is extremely short. That lady is someone else's mother, grandmother, great grandmother, aunt, sister cousin, great friend... And they tell you something like that. Pretty big honor. Hard at times. But really special too.

Last edited:
That's what took my mother, it was horrible to see. Hospice will make him as comfortable as possible. Prayers sent.

My sincerest condolences. It sounds like he had an amazing journey though and definitely lived the fullest of lives, you guys can take solace in that.

I just lost my grandmother at the ripe age of 82 years from the same thing. She suffered from COPD for the last 20 years and the Pneumonia is finally what took her. She died peacefully in her bed surrounded by family. I sure hope I can go out like that...

R.I.P.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My 99 YO FIL is now on his final journey.
This is a man born in August 1918, who came of age in the Great Depression and then served in the CBI theatre in the Second World War with the Army Air Corps.
He saw six children born as well as five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He also suffered the loss of his wife when she was only sixty as well as the loss of a son in his early twenties.
I've known the guy since 1981, having met him shortly after meeting the woman who would become my wife, she having apparently decided this before I did.
He was playing cards and speaking as recently as Monday, but then collapsed suddenly.
He was transported to hospital where he was found to have pneumonia as well as sepsis, the latter not very treatable in anyone, much less a guy of 99.
He was fully functional and even driving up until 95 YO, at which time he gave up driving on his initiative.
I visited him today and it was sad to see a once strong and vigorous man on a one way journey with no hope of reprieve.
He's pretty unresponsive now, but I grabbed his foot and spoke to him and he may have gotten what I said to him even if he couldn't respond.
I told him who I was, that I was glad to see him, that I hoped I had been a good husband to his daughter and that he had had both the privilege and the joy of having seen so much in his long and full life. In parting, I told him to rest easy.
Godspeed old man.

Please type-out what FIL is -- what YO is. We-all do it in our threads and responses.
Hoping your father-in-law end's life's journey restful and peaceful. Just went thru this twice with two family members that were 95 and 100 years-old.
Hang in there.

Last edited:
He had the distinct honor of being part of the USA's leadership role in the world. Well done sir, well done. We won't see his likes again, and I'm glad I wont't be around to experience the fall from greatness.

Wife's phone rang at about 3:00 am and we knew what it had to be.
John passed peacefully from this realm in the dark hours of the morning.
He had one of my sisters in law with him and he was well medicated with morphine, so he should have been comfortable.
He leaves behind a legacy in his family.
I thank all of you for your kind and empathetic replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back