15w40 Maxlife in Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an odd question, but I gotta ask it anyway (either I'm stirring the pot or I'm passing it, I guess.)
Valvoline sells a 15w40 diesel oil with Maxlife. Does the maxlife have any areas on modern bike motors that would
benefit them? Valve guide seals, seals in general..?

Like I said, this is an odd question, but I'm curious.

Most bikes require 20w-50 and wet clutch bikes MUST use
bike oil only.

Diesel oil can't withstand the high rpms and heat and will destroy a wet clutch bike.

Not true in the least.
Many bikes and ATV's recommend 10w40 and most HDEO 15w40's will work fine with reasonable oci's, at least in my own experiences.

I have used 15W40 HDEO in several bikes with wet clutch, never had any engine explosion?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Dwane17
Not true in the least.
Many bikes and ATV's recommend 10w40 and most HDEO 15w40's will work fine with reasonable oci's, at least in my own experiences.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
bike oil only.

Diesel oil can't withstand the high rpms and heat and will destroy a wet clutch bike.
I guess my 40 years of running car oil in my wet clutch bikes was a bad idea.

bike oil only.

Your attempts at trolling are sad. Just give up, no one is listening.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
bike oil only.

Your attempts at trolling are sad. Just give up, no one is listening.

+1

Originally Posted By: Brian553
I have an odd question, but I gotta ask it anyway (either I'm stirring the pot or I'm passing it, I guess.)
Valvoline sells a 15w40 diesel oil with Maxlife. Does the maxlife have any areas on modern bike motors that would
benefit them? Valve guide seals, seals in general..?

Like I said, this is an odd question, but I'm curious.

Past UOAs have shown regular automotive Maxlife with a robust additive package. I assume the diesel would be the same if that matters to you.
I dont have to think about it too much as my bike requires a 50 weight diesel and that limits me to 15/50 Mystik diesel.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Past UOAs have shown regular automotive Maxlife with a robust additive package. I assume the diesel would be the same if that matters to you.
I dont have to think about it too much as my bike requires a 50 weight diesel and that limits me to 15/50 Mystik diesel.

Those Harleys have to run a 50WT to keep the POS's from leaking oil all over the place, thats the only reason they specify it!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Those Harleys have to run a 50WT to keep the POS's from leaking oil all over the place, thats the only reason they specify it!

You are a little out of date dude

Totally--if you make a mistake of putting a 40 weight into one, its like a fire hydrant. Bumping it up a few centistokes on the hot end will seal it up airtight.

I do like the current Maxlife blend, but I wasn't sure if the seal sweller/conditioner/[ect] was of real use to most bike motors... or if it would be a detriment somehow.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Totally--if you make a mistake of putting a 40 weight into one, its like a fire hydrant. Bumping it up a few centistokes on the hot end will seal it up airtight.

I do like the current Maxlife blend, but I wasn't sure if the seal sweller/conditioner/[ect] was of real use to most bike motors... or if it would be a detriment somehow.

I doubt it would matter at all. Valvoline says Maxlife can be used in new vehicles. Im sure a bike is no exception. Ive ran Rotella and Delvac in my XSR900 without issue.

My Favorite oil shifting wise is the Shell Advance 4T 10w40 MC but at $15 a Quart is 3 times as much as Rotella.

Rotella 15W40 is the only one available that has the specification listed right on the bottle for wet clutch use. I trust that Shell wouldnt put that on the bottle if they were not 100% sure... so I stick to Rotella 15W40 and MANY forums recommend the same thing. From motorcycles to ATV's and scooters etc.

NEVER use anything but MOTORCYCLE oil in a MOTORCYCLE.
And using anything else in a wet clutch bike is begging for problems.
But as always, morons have to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

Rotella is Motorcycle rated just the same as this High end Shell MC specific oil. Both meet the specs for motorcycle usage...no morons on this subject... JASO MA and JASO MA2 are the specs for MC wet clutch usage.

Last edited:
. My 2008 wet clutch Suzuki DL1000 ran great with Rotella 15w40 for years. Rotella is a very popular “ motorcycle “ oil. I’ve also ran Valvoline VR1 in my last two Harley’s. Come to think about it, in over 40 years of owning and riding motorcycles I can’t remember ever using a “ motorcycle specific” oil. I’ve also never had an oil related engine, clutch or transmission failure.

To add to Donny's lesson for the moron. From the Harley Davidson service manual.

and some have found alternatives that work just fine rather then buying over-priced products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back