2018 Hyundai elantra motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my car to firestone for the first oil change and they told me that minimum manufacturer requirement is a blend motor oil. Is that correct?
I have never seen a low end car using a blend motor oil before? I looked at my manual and did not see blend being mentioned. Is Firestone correct?

Hyundai has notoriously vague and out-dated oil recommendations. Assuming you have the 2.0L, these are the following recommendations from the Owners Manual:

API SM (or above)- conventional, blend, synthetic, doesn't matter.

5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30 (Hyundai recommends 5W-20 for best MPG).

at intervals of 3,750 miles (severe) or 7,500 (normal).

Probably because they charge double for a syn-blend oil change is the reason. Here are some coupons:

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/offers/offer-detail/lof1-1806

Which engine does it have the, 2.slow or the turbo engine? Firestone uses Quaker State conventional now for their standard oil change. They used to use Kendall syn-blend so kind of a downgrade but QS is still a good oil. At least they don't use cheap generic bulk oil. I'd prob go to Walmart TLE or Ford Quick Lane to avoid the massive up-sells they do at Firestone.

Is this a GDI engine? If so I would use the latest SN+ , d1G2 oils. While you don’t have a turbo it makes it easier to find the oil you need plus the benefits of better timing chain wear additives.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is this a GDI engine? If so I would use the latest SN+ , d1G2 oils. While you don’t have a turbo it makes it easier to find the oil you need plus the benefits of better timing chain wear additives.

It's an MPI engine.

Thanks for clarifying. I would still use those oils as long as they meet Hyundai’s confusing recommendations.

I live near Ft. Worth and I have a fairly new 2018 Kia Sorento with the 2.4 L engine. I have decided to use a 5w30 full synthetic oil year round. I would suggest that you use either a 5w30 or 10w30 full synthetic oil for Houston. Good luck with your new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: kapama
2.0 ltr engine.

Home Depot has Formula Shell jugs for $13. Nice stout additive package with that oil. Sometimes goes on sale for $10/jug

The dealer uses Valvoline conventional oil when they perform oil changes on my Hyundai Santa Fe XL with the 6 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: kapama
I am confused. What is the verdict on this? Can I use conventional oil like the one below instead of blend oil?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Premium-Conventional-5W-20-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/15125799

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. much appreciated.

Here is your answer:

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Hyundai has notoriously vague and out-dated oil recommendations. Assuming you have the 2.0L, these are the following recommendations from the Owners Manual:

"SM or above" means SM or SN. The Valvoline oil you linked... the back of the bottle says "API service SN/SM" so YES you can use that.

Last edited:
as long as you're not pushing extended oil change intervals you'll be okay with conventional Valvoline or Shell both very good oil. As mentioned, price around sometimes you can find good prices on full and synthetic blends and not worry about pushing your oil changes. Just stick with the OE filter while under warranty.

Last edited:

^^This

I personally don't feel comfortable running a conventional oil to 7500 miles. I'm going to be dumping the FF soon on my '18 and will use synthetic for the life of the car. With rebates, syn is cheaper than dino anyway.

Depending on your commute pattern, I would use at least a good 5W30 if not a 10W30 and change it according to severe service intervals while under warranty. You don't have GDI, but you do have timing chains, and a dexos1 Gen 2 5W30 is designed to protect those, as would a good API SN/ILSAC GF-5 10W30 like QSAD or QSUD. I have found that I can usually get a 5 qt jug of QSUD within a dollar or two of QSAD, so I go with the QSUD, just because....

Originally Posted By: mclasser

^^This

I personally don't feel comfortable running a conventional oil to 7500 miles. I'm going to be dumping the FF soon on my '18 and will use synthetic for the life of the car. With rebates, syn is cheaper than dino anyway.

Take a look at the severe service schedule in the manual. If you drive in stop and go traffic daily, I would go with the severe service schedule while under warranty. Hyundai is notorious for picking the fly poop out of the pepper when it comes to warranty requirements being met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back