Tractor Universal fluids - How good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From "eliminated" bitog topic..to the....from Russia with love
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3010081

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/7426-pennasol-stou-10w-30-svezhee/

Originally Posted By: Shannow
One of my favourite fluids in the past has been Mobil Agri 424, made my Japanese gearboxes very happy.
Mobil Agri 424 pds indicates it's a multipurpose (UTTO) oils with VII.
Multipurpose UTTO oils are normally recommended for a shared oil sump that lubricates multiple mechanical components including most or all components like transmission gearbox, differentials, final drives , hydraulic actuating systems, wet brakes, steering etc.
This concept is popular among agricultural machineries supposedly destined for working in remote regions (in third world countries, in particular) where access to individualized dedicated appropriate lubricants is a concern.
If UTTO was called for in this one-component Japanese gearbox application which requires a GL4 SAE xW80 viscosity, I would recommend a dedicated GL4 SAE xW80 MTF for compliance or warranty purpose.
Personally I would opt for higher viscosity grades in xW85 or xW90 for higher MOFT ,dedicated additives package ,minimal or nil VII for shear-stability and components wear protection, other than easier availability and competitive pricing of xW85/xW90 oils.

Quote:
Have observed in passing that there are quite a few Universal fluids out there that do the lot.

Engine, Trans, wet brakes, hydraulics.

e.g. Castrol Agri MP.

Question is basically, being an all rounder, just how good (or bad) are they in each of the respective applications.

Are the compromises that are made to gain ALL of the certifications seriously detrimental to long life, or are they minor ?
UTTO multipurpose oils are required for common shared oil sump system catering to diverse mechanical systems described above simultaneously, not that one can't use HDEO in similar scenario
However where the 'oil sump' is catering to a single unit component system such as hydraulic system only , or power steering system, auto or manual transmission system, differential system, final drive system etc, use of UTTO is substantially a compromise.
In the above example of a Japanese gearbox (not sure exactly its specifications/application) described above, in relation to a typical MTF oils, this Mobil Agri 424 has compromised on:
a) shear stability;
b)viscosity grade for maximum components protection;
c) efficacy of additive package;
d) availability and competitive pricing, among others.
JMHO.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
in the case of UTTO oils...how [do] they compare with other sae80...or sae90 gear oils?

In terms of Anti-Wear and viscosity just fine as they contain a healthy dose of AW chemistry.

SAE gear oils however should never be used in those systems that require STOU's because of their EP additives.

Quote:
How does diesel STOU oil compare with normal "Allfleet" or generic diesel oils...

STOU oils come in similar viscosities as do the oils you mentioned and contain a healthy dose of AW chemistry.

Any benefits to the transmission using a STOU in motorcycles/ATVs with a common engine and transmission sump? Assuming it doesn't make the wet clutch slip. My old 2001 Kingquad 300 serves compact tractor duty towing big loads of firewood. Its mostly had RT6 5W40 in it but super low range has developed a bit of extra gear whine over the years.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

STOU oils come in similar viscosities as do the oils you mentioned and contain a healthy dose of AW chemistry.

Any benefits to the transmission using a STOU in motorcycles/ATVs with a common engine and transmission sump? Assuming it doesn't make the wet clutch slip. My old 2001 Kingquad 300 serves compact tractor duty towing big loads of firewood. Its mostly had RT6 5W40 in it but super low range has developed a bit of extra gear whine over the years. [/quote]

They are wet brake/clutch compatible.

Thanks for the info, MolaKule. It's a chaallenge translating 1959 specs (I looked up the serial number on my MF 204) to the fluids of 2018. I did find all mineral 80 or 90W for the trans and diff (and internal hydraulics for the three point). The 1959 spec. calls for Type A trans fluid in bucket/backhoe hydraulics and in the Revers-O-Matic torque converter. I know Type A evolved to Dexron and eventually to Dexron III (which is pretty much the same as Mercon, with Type F being old history). It looks like today's fluids, such as the Schaeffer fluid you pointed out, are probably a better choice than anything one could have found in 1959.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back