CVT Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a 2007 Ford Freestyle w/CVT. I changed fluid/filters every 80K averaged 24.5 MPG and had no issues (sold at 166K). Two of my friends have vehicles with CVTs. One has a 2005 Ford Freestyle with 315K on original CVT and the other has a 2014 Accord that had it’s CVT self-destruct at 9K.

Originally Posted By: Trav
CVT.

LOL I spent some time yesterday driving my father's 2013 Impreza. The more I drive it the more I hate the transmission.
27.gif
Especially during take off from a stop or in traffic.

If CVTs are so good then why don't they put it in trucks or in high torque applications then? I thought they were the demise of planetary automatics when they were first introduced and yet we are seeing 7, 8, 9, even 10 speed automatics. Isn't a CVT supposed to have infinite gear ratios? Why isn't it in trucks yet then.

I'd like to see a CVT behind a Ram Cummins or Ford Ecoboost TTV6 to convince me to get something with a CVT.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
CVTs have improved greatly and the horror stories are from years past. They are different though and require some getting used to.

One way to research would be to rent a car that has a cvt.

This is BITOG! Your post makes too much sense!!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
If CVTs are so good then why don't they put it in trucks or in high torque applications then? I thought they were the demise of planetary automatics when they were first introduced and yet we are seeing 7, 8, 9, even 10 speed automatics. Isn't a CVT supposed to have infinite gear ratios? Why isn't it in trucks yet then.

I'd like to see a CVT behind a Ram Cummins or Ford Ecoboost TTV6 to convince me to get something with a CVT.

I think the answer is pretty simple, as of yet they won't hold up to the torque or high horsepower. Maybe at some point in the future, maybe..

Yep-passenger cars have the same requirements as big rigs......

Useless post of the day.............

Originally Posted By: CKN

That was my thought. Might as well require seats with shocks in them, high/low range, air brakes. Different vehicles, different needs.

I know some deride it as a snowmobile transmission, yet don't all snowmobiles use them? They seem to work well there. Are we to remove them from snowmobiles because they don't work well in cars?

2015 CRV with CVT. It's easily driven with eco mode on, and pretty spritely with it off. MPG averages 24 in town commuting with my wife driving with the A/C on. 27 on the highway. It spends 99% of the time in eco mode, which reduces the overall engine rpm and reduces the throttle sensitivity by 20%. It only took a short while to get used to it on the highway. I actually like how it always keeps the engine working down load around town unless you need it. Its a relaxing drive in that regard. The electric PS in that car, however, is another story.

-m

Which CVT are you buying?
smile.gif

edit: will be buying? Seems none are released yet. Seems to be a plan for it though.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/allison-to-produce-gearless-transmissions/

http://www.fleetowner.com/equipment/new-cvt-transmission-works-trucking

https://www.aggman.com/doosans-dl420-5-c...ger&ust_id=[-MD5-]&?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=08-13-2017&utm_campaign=Aggregates%20Manager&ust_id=[-MD5-]

Last edited:
232k miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5. Original CVT in it with zero work or issues. Like I have thought before... It's about the combination of motor and transmission.

Bought new Altima in '07, drove it 6 years, two fluid changes at 50 & 100K, sold to neighbor who has had no problems; not sure how much it has on it though. Current Accord has CVT and close to 100K; three fluid changes so far, no issues...gets solid 33mpg, higher on trips.

Originally Posted By: supton

I know some deride it as a snowmobile transmission, yet don't all snowmobiles use them? They seem to work well there. Are we to remove them from snowmobiles because they don't work well in cars?

Hey now even my variable speed drill press has a CVT too.

Useless post of the day.............

As most of the posts here but I'd like to take a fun stab at it.

How about one in a 2.7 F150 ecoboost? Ford claims that to be their most popular vehicle.

Like'em or not, it doesn't look like CVTs are going anywhere. Aside from the old Subaru Justy and Saturn Vue CVT disaster, normal every day passenger vehicle CVTs have been on the road for 10yrs now, maybe longer. If it wasn't a viable technology, it would have been disappeared years ago.

Like said, saying they're garbage because they don't work in heavy-duty applications is apples/oranges IMO. Neither would a step-shift conventional automatic if it wasn't designed for heavy duty.

Originally Posted By: supton

That was my thought. Might as well require seats with shocks in them, high/low range, air brakes. Different vehicles, different needs.

When is the last time a snowmobile weight 4000+ pounds?

Have CVT trannis in a 2017 Accord Sport SE and 2018 Lexus RX450h.
Neither one has many miles, but no problems so far.
Our GS350 F Sport has gears... It is faster. Ha!

All good.
CVTs are, most likely, here to stay. The idea is great.
Hopefully they will continue to improve.
Theoretically you could program on to be stinking fast.

Before I read this thread I had never seen anyone mention that they would consider a manual or geared auto on their next purchase after getting a CVT. All the posts I have seen have praised them, but most of those seemed to be Subarus

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
CVTs have an inherently weaker design. You have a think metal ribbed belt riding on two cones. The forces and surface area involved in keeping the belt riding on the cones is the major problem in them.
If I had one, I would treat it gently and change the fluid often.

Maybe in your view they do-but if they go 200,000 miles-they must not be too weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back