fumoto oil valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
have been using Fumoto oil valves for years on many different vehicles. Just installed one on new Lexus. Word of warning :use a better lock than the plastic. Get a small radiator hose clamp. While traveling to Fort Kent Maine on a Rte.11 they were tearing up the road and obviously a stone came up from the dirt road and the one in a million thing happened. The stone broke the plastic clamp and lifted the lever. All oiled drained from pan. message came up on dash warning of low oil level and I was able to stop and fix problem. I will put a better clamp on all other vehicles. I realize that this probably will never happen again but like they say : never say never

Phew, good for you
smile.gif

Been using those valves for 20 years and never had an issue. Know fleet manager that has run them over a million miles without an incident. Where is the drain plug on your Lexus?

1 and done. I sold all 6 of mine. When you don't got a good feeling going in....

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is not that hard to turn a wrench.

It's not just about turning a wrench(for me).....it's about getting 14 qts of hot diesel oil into a container for disposal without getting it on me or the driveway.

It's not that hard to roll down a window either...people still spend a lot of money on power windows. The Fumoto valve just makes life easier, the chances of it breaking or opening when it shouldn't are much smaller than many other bad things that could happen to your engine at any given time.

They also work great on vehicles or equipment that are hard to change. There are plenty of engines out there where you really need to add a nipple and a hose to drain without making a mess. Can't do that with just a wrench.

So many people are terrified of the valves...while they let worn out threads on a bolt hold their oil in with a thin fragile gasket.

Glad you caught it. I never had a problem unless I forgot to close the valve when changing oil. I did have a drain plug leak when seal went bad. Nothing is perfect and sometimes stuff happens.

I am using EZ Oil Change valve in the Elantra. It is protected by the plastic cover with cut out for access when draining oil so it would be hard to open unless cover is damaged.

These Fumoto threads are usually very predictable in the responses but if the best you can offer is something about "a solution waiting for a problem" or it's not hard to turn a wrench...you just don't get it...and it's as simple as that.

Common sense will tell you if you have a location that might be vulnerable and it's up to you if you feel comfortable in using the valve. I'm not saying I'm questioning Santo's experience, but I know in the years I've used them it would be an odd rock indeed that that would break the locking clip and have that raise the lever and slot it left to open the valve.

This again brings up the idea of actual exposure as I've used these valves in locations that are partially enclosed, and if something got up there it would more likely take the oil pan with it and not open a ball valve whose normal position is locked.

I began using Fumotos because my particular application was a recessed rear-facing plug whose location was difficult and a bit dangerous. But since it's not that hard to turn a wrench, I guess I should have spent another 30 minutes effing with it while endangering myself. I do know one thing...these ball valves are only a solution waiting for a problem in the blanket statement BITOG world that doesn't try too hard to make sense of others situations that they apparently can't fathom.

Breaks the clip, lifts the spring loaded lever straight up out of its lock slot, and rotates it 90 degrees against the friction of the valve internals.....I think a rock like that killed Kennedy.

Amen. In over 40 years of car ownership I've never owned a vehicle that I felt needed one. Some people claim they're great, others claim they have a vehicle that needed one for whatever reason, then by all means go for it. I consider myself fortunate that all I need to do is turn a wrench. I recall my son buying a used car with a Fomoto valve, it went in the garbage the first time I changed the oil for him. I was also surprised how much additional oil came out after removing it from the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Breaks the clip, lifts the spring loaded lever straight up out of its lock slot, and rotates it 90 degrees against the friction of the valve internals.....I think a rock like that killed Kennedy.

Likewise. While we only have Fumoto's on two vehicles anymore they simply do not open easily or break often!

I'm still in my neighbor's OCI with the Fumoto installed. I can't wait to see it work.

His case involved pan threads damaged by the $20 oil change meth-heads at a car wash. And yes, I do pick on those meth-heads rather predictably.

I got one from Oildrainvalve.net They have a metal clip to lock the tap.

Either way, isn't there a notch where the lever gets locked? I am not using this clip on one of the vehicles and turning that lever is an adventure every darn time.

Scotty Kilmer showed www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077ZGZ39V ValvoMax in one of his videos. It looked better than those tap-like drain valves.

Originally Posted By: Bud
www.nospillsystems.com

Anyone tried one of these?

Looks like the old Fram SureDrain system.

511F-owXnPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back to Fumoto. When I first installed it, the optional lock (from the retailer I bought it from) was a round-wire Constant Tension spring clamp (predates the plastic clip)
https://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-clamps/=1dd6pyu

Used it a few times, and got rid of the clamp. Never had issues it the valve opening up or leaking over the course of over 40 oil changes

Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Yeah, instead of the grassy knoll it's the oily hole with the spring loaded lever than seems to either open on it's own or cause engine failures 50,000x more often than empirical reality would suggest. "You just need one incident"...yep, that's why I don't fly, drink tap water, buy mushrooms, or ever leave the house. I learn so much from overly opinionated willful ignorance on here that it's truly mind numbing. If there's an "expert" here you can usually bet they've never used a Fumoto and somehow want to post something about "it's OK for others but they're dangerous, a waste of money, and I know that because Skippy, my neighbor ( real or imagined ) told me and he lost an engine because of one. Riiiiiiight. Like I say, these threads are both hyper-predictable and often don't represent the reality of using one.

Agreed -- still trying to fathom the ops scenario??? I absolutely LUV my Fumoto valves on all my rides. Simple/easy and no need for a new crush washer every oil change. Great invention & proud owner.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back