Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone complaining that a Fumoto drains slow...your oil is not hot enough to be changed. Draining properly hot oil through the valve might add maybe 2 seconds in a 5 qt sump. And yes, maybe a cup of oil "might" not drain out, but it still beats ANY down the dipstick tube pump arrangement (and many of them work fine too).

Personally, I'm a fan. I have one on both of my vehicles. The one on my 2002 Tacoma has been on there for 15 years with no issues. I have one on the 2012 Highlander too. I never have to take it off so never have to worry about accidentally over tightening a drain plug or anything like that. Both of my vehicles have the drain plug on the back side of the pan so it is pretty protected. I didn't put one on my daughter's Trailblazer because the drain plug sticks straight downward.

Also, I've never used one with a nipple. I just drain into a pan. The main reason I use them is that they are just less messy. I can reach under my vehicles and flip the switch to start them draining. Then I go do something else for 10 minutes and come back. If it is a little slower, so what? It doesn't bother me. If there is any oil left, it is inconsequential.

Don't know about some, but the only thing I don't like about a diesel is changing the oil. Anything that's makes it less messy is a winner in my book....even if it takes a little more time. Didn't make much difference back in the day where you just drained it on the ground, rolled forward and put the plug back in it and refilled. I have even put used diesel oil on cedar fence posts to make them last longer. Red ants don't like it either. I know that sounds archaic and irresponsible but anything that keeps that nasty oil in a container is a plus.

I love them as long as the oil pan allows installation in a safe place. The few drops of old oil that might remain inside are not worth talking about. With my Jeep it's great, I can just roll under it with a bucket...no tools. Flows out plenty fast.

I even just put one on a 2.5hp water pump engine. The way the engine is installed it gets oil everywhere when I pull the plug. It's a chinese engine so it has metric threads. I couldn't find a regular ball valve that would fit but surprisingly Fumoto makes a valve the right size. Now no tools no mess to change oil.

There's a thread on another BTOG forum where a guy is claiming a rock came up from the road, broke the plastic lock,opened the valve and dumped all the oil out of his Lexus...I'm suspicious.

That's a good idea about the valve on a small engine. I have a couple that could use one to make an oil change easier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cedarshark
There's a thread on another BTOG forum where a guy is claiming a rock came up from the road, broke the plastic lock,opened the valve and dumped all the oil out of his Lexus...I'm suspicious.

Yeah, I'm not buying that. I'm not even familiar with a plastic lock for Fumoto valves. I've never used one. Neither of mine came with one. If you've used a Fumoto you can feel the quality and will understand that accidentally dropping all of your oil is virtually impossible.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Originally Posted By: Cedarshark

Yeah, I'm not buying that. I'm not even familiar with a plastic lock for Fumoto valves. I've never used one. Neither of mine came with one. If you've used a Fumoto you can feel the quality and will understand that accidentally dropping all of your oil is virtually impossible.

I have to agree, that post is awfully suspicious for a 1st time poster. I never put the lock on my Jeep valve, no issue, no concern. It would take an odd series of events to make it leak. More likely would be for it to get hit by a big rock and break off, but I don't really go offroad. And if I hit something that big it probably would pierce my oil pan anyway.

Even if I did lose all my oil, that's why I have an oil pressure gauge. The engine can survive a few seconds of no pressure.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I bought 6 of them. I sold 6 of them. They stick down too far and drain WAY too slow and don�t completely drain.

I have to agree with stick down to far on Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
Always been too chicken to install one on the Corollas,Camrys and Rav4s
in the family fleet.

I get the same amount of oil out of my pan with/without the Fumoto valve on my Highlander and did on my Journey. I have dump my used oil into old oil containers so I can see what came out every time. (Graduated see through marks on the side of Amsoil Jugs)

Last edited:
On my car there is a splash gaurd that covers the oil plan, so there is no risk of it getting hit. I've used them before and always had great results with them. I was always just curious about the oil left behind. The angle my oil drain pan is at, it gets all of the oil out. With the Fumoto I'm not sure if there would be any left but I imagine it would be very small.

I actually removed a Fumoto from a vehicle I was trading in to use on the next one.
Only a couple of spoonfuls on oil came out when
removing the Fumoto after draining the oil.Fumto's are great if not hanging down in harm's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back