Ruger Mini-14, yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the opportunity to buy a new in box Mini-14 for $599. Standard brown wood stock and only comes with a 5 round magazine. Having proprietary mags (wish it took AR mags) is a negative, but not a deal breaker. I've always been intrigued by this rifle (maybe from watching the A-Team as a kid?), but never found the right deal, I suppose. Would like to have one in my collection, but it's not something I HAVE to have.

So, yay or nay? What say you?

I'd pass at $600. You can get a decent AR for that which will be better in every way. Including millions of cheap mags. Ruger factory mags are $$$.

ETA: those mini ranch guns really don't bring out my inner A Team.

Last edited:
Yea, I own 2. Well technically a Mini 14 and 30. Are there better guns? Sure, are there cheaper ARs? Sure. As long as you don't expect 1 MOA at 100 yards you'll be happy. Fantastic guns and as long as they're newer that ARE accurate.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I'd pass at $600. You can get a decent AR for that which will be better in every way. Including millions of cheap mags. Ruger factory mags are $$$.

LOL, yeah, I know. I already have two ARs. This is just a chance to add something different to my collection. It was marked down from $800, so it piqued my interest.

They are more of a M1 carbine instead of an AR .I would get the target model if it were me but then I don't shoot the rifles I own now.

Nothing under a grand here in Oz ($1,300 used typical), and a special licence needed.

If I had the hankering, and the spare money, why not.

BTW, well done on correct usage of "piqued"

You can easily buy a cheaper AR from multiple places for less money but the one thing the Mini 14 has going for it is that it has historically never been part of any proposed bans so it might be a good investment.

I have 3 Ruger Mini's. All are good running, dependable rifles. Are they as accurate as an AR? No. But they were never meant to be a target grade weapon. (Ruger did attempt to sell a "target version" of it with some silly, sliding harmonic barrel weight on it). It never sold well, and was a dumb idea. I think it has been discontinued.

But as a range and fun gun, they are a lot of fun to shoot. They run well, and the newer models that are built on the newer, improved tooling are reasonably accurate. Now with Hi-Capacity 20 and 30 round Ruger magazines available at a fair price, they are even more desirable. $600.00 is a good price. I would go for it. You won't be disappointed. Especially now that AR's have been done to death by everyone and their brother. Is there a gun company that doesn't make one? I think even Savage and Mossberg are getting in on the AR craze now.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

LOL, yeah, I know. I already have two ARs. This is just a chance to add something different to my collection. It was marked down from $800, so it piqued my interest.
If you're looking at the Walmart clearance ones they'll be going down some more. I'd wait for another price drop. For $822 you can get a tactical model from Buds.

Originally Posted By: CT8
They are more of a M1 carbine instead of an AR .I would get the target model if it were me but then I don't shoot the rifles I own now.

I like the look of the French Minis. They have that M1 Carbine vibe.

Mini-14 with a wooden stock and a 20 rd mag is not as visually threatening to the sheeple as an AR is.

For $822 you can get a tactical model from Buds.

2 of mine are the Tactical Models. One blue, the other in Stainless. The nice thing about the tactical models, is mine came with 2, 20 round magazines, plus the rings. So when you factor in the cost of the rings and mags, it becomes a better deal.

My other Mini is a NRA Edition with the Hogue overmolded stock. The only thing I don't care for on the gun is the Ruger scope mounting system. It's OK, and I have never had any issues with mine, (either on the Mini or my Model 77 in .30-06). I just think there are better mounting systems available. (At least Ruger finally got away from those stupid slotted screws for the ring caps, and went to Torx's screws).

If I'm not mistaken, someone makes a scope mounting set up for the Ruger Mini 14 that incorporates a Picatinny Rail set up that attaches to the bases that are machined into the receiver. It allows you to use any Picatinny or Weaver type rings you want. It's a nicer set up because it allows you to vary the distance between the rings. With the Ruger set up, you're stuck with what they give you.

Originally Posted By: billt460

2 of mine are the Tactical Models. One blue, the other in Stainless. The nice thing about the tactical models, is mine came with 2, 20 round magazines, plus the rings. So when you factor in the cost of the rings and mags, it becomes a better deal.

My other Mini is a NRA Edition with the Hogue overmolded stock. The only thing I don't care for on the gun is the Ruger scope mounting system. It's OK, and I have never had any issues with mine, (either on the Mini or my Model 77 in .30-06). I just think there are better mounting systems available. (At least Ruger finally got away from those stupid slotted screws for the ring caps, and went to Torx's screws).

If I'm not mistaken, someone makes a scope mounting set up for the Ruger Mini 14 that incorporates a Picatinny Rail set up that attaches to the bases that are machined into the receiver. It allows you to use any Picatinny or Weaver type rings you want. It's a nicer set up because it allows you to vary the distance between the rings. With the Ruger set up, you're stuck with what they give you.

Ruger hurts you with mag prices. They want close to $40 for flimsy American mags. I decided to wait for Magpul to release the hunter stock instead of buying spare mags. $30+ mini mags is a tough pill to swallow. I like having a good supply of mags for autos. 2-3 mags will get me by with a bolt.

Last edited:

Very nice!

Am jealous...nice setup

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Mini-14 with a wooden stock and a 20 rd mag is not as visually threatening to the sheeple as an AR is.

It's a harmless little plinker.

Get it.

I paid more than that for my Mini 30 back in around 2005.

The Minis have some things going for them that AR-style rifles don’t. I love the wood stock on mine, and I prefer the feel of my Mini as I shoulder it, to the AR. The cheek weld feels more natural. The whole rifle just feels great.

And it’s sort of a tribute to the M1 Garand and M14. Good conversation piece. Most people at the range won’t have one.

Mine has been perfectly reliable with brass case ammo. It hiccups on cheap Russian steel case stuff from time to time. I think it’s a light primer strike problem. But it seems to happen less with time. I just keep it loaded with brass case ammo and that way I know it’ll work if I ever need it to.

Another part of the history is that, ironically, though it looks like a hunting rifle to the gun-ignorant, it was unfortunately used effectively in the infamous ‘86 Miami FBI shootout by one of the bank robbers.

Now those look Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back