How much oil does your oil filter hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Many of us pre-fill our oil filters. Have you ever measured how much oil it takes to fill it? If so post your filter model and volume in percentage of a quart.
smile.gif

My 530i and Q5 have cartridge filters mounted on top, so I'm not sure how I would measure that.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Either that's a horrible site, or I run some of the most oddball sized filters that they don't have any data on.

Like the AC Delco PF46... which probably fits hundreds of GM models. Not oddball. Lame site.

Hey, if you don't like it, then post an alternative.
Or you could list your filter volume here on a case by case basis, like OP first proposed.
Or you could just move along if this doesn't meet your standards.....
thumbsup2.gif

In the cars listed below, I've gone from a quart-sized cartridge housing to pint-sized spin-on filters to a cup-sized cartridge housing (0.3 quart, according to Toyota).

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
That 1734 is just a wee little thing, eh?
smile.gif

Yeah it is for my 1995 F250 with the 7.3L PSD. The 1734 has no ADV and sits straight up so I understand why no ADV. But can anyone tell me why they do not need a bypass valve? Is there a built in bypass on the truck?

I don't bother anymore, but the one time I filled the filter for my 7.3 it took a little over 2 quarts. It's a monster filter compared to any other filter my vehicles have though! It's a pain to try and screw it on when it's full of oil too, hence why I don't do it anymore. Filling a filter isn't necessary I've learned from working in the industry. Changed oil on thousands of cars when I worked in a maintenance shop, and didn't fill the filter on a single one, none had a problem. Obviously can't prefill if the engine uses a cartridge design either.

Not much because it's a small cartridge. When I change the filter versus not changing it, it might change the fill amount by 1/4 of a quart tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back