Review - Sonax Spray and Seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pics yet. I’ll try to put some up a bit later.

The car was just slightly dirty so a quick wash with Sonax Car Wash Shampoo using the two bucket method with grit guards and a chenille microfiber mitt. After the rinse off I shook the Spray and Seal bottle per the instructions and started at the roof. 4-6 sprays per a 4 foot square area is the recommended application. I am sure I went overboard at first. After spraying each area, roof, rear, sides and hood I hosed off the panels with a regular nozzle. You can see the sealant rinsing off as you go.

Then after rinsing I dried the panels. I had one large Platinum Pluffle drying towel from The Rag Company and had ordered another three smaller size of the same towel in advance. I used all four towels. After drying a quick buff with the Eagle Edgeless from the same company. Buffing is actually not the word to use here, mostly a soft wipeover.

The ease and time saving if using this product is the key. I easily saved 1 to 1.5 hours over the time I would spend waxing or applying another type of sealant. There is no removal of any product as the hose rinse does that. Another advantage is that everything is protected including glass and trim so no extra steps needed.

The shine is excellent. Silver is a hard color to pop but this stuff comes close. It is supposed to last up to 6 months so I will keep tabs on that. I don’t expect that kind of durability but then again who knows.

This Sonax Spray and Seal is their newest product and is another of the SIO2 spray sealant products that are becoming the newest way to quickly seal, protect and give your vehicle a lustrous shine. I should get 4 to 6 applications from one bottle.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-spray-and-seal.html

great news!

Sonax already had a fantastic and long lasting sealant combo with the polymer netshield and brillant shine detailer combo ...

now ideal for me - I'm not that into detailing anymore, I simply don't have the time anymore - I can use their latest combo - Wash+seal and Spray+seal and have a protected car, superb beading with even less effort!

Originally Posted By: alex_at
great news!

Sonax already had a fantastic and long lasting sealant combo with the polymer netshield and brillant shine detailer combo ...

now ideal for me - I'm not that into detailing anymore, I simply don't have the time anymore - I can use their latest combo - Wash+seal and Spray+seal and have a protected car, superb beading with even less effort!

I am with you. Anything that can make any job easier is a plus. I have good memories of waxing cars in the past but age and other things make that hard for me now.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Very nice. Gonna try this product. Thanks for sharing.

You bet wemay. It really doesn’t get much easier than this.

This sounds much like HydrO2, which is sprayed on a panel, rinsed off with a high power jet of water, and then the car is subsequently dried. Is highly hydrophobic and looks good enough, IMO.

Not sure what a hybrid polymer is with this stuff, but IMO this sort of product is the future. Time saving, works well, notionally adds protection, with minimal work. Doesnt correct, obviously, but that's not always what one is looking for...

There are a bunch of these SIO2 products out there. Carpro Reset, Gyeon Cure, for a couple. The ingredients are isopropanol, siloxane and silicones.

As I sprayed the product onto the wet car the water drops started to roll off. It was interesting to watch.

There are car wash products out with SIO2 as well. These act as a refresh, a modern version of the wash and wax.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There are a bunch of these SIO2 products out there. Carpro Reset, Gyeon Cure, for a couple. The ingredients are isopropanol, siloxane and silicones.

As I sprayed the product onto the wet car the water drops started to roll off. It was interesting to watch.

There are car wash products out with SIO2 as well. These act as a refresh, a modern version of the wash and wax.

Do we really have a basis that this stuff is different/better? Cheaper?

I'm intrigued.

Better would be the experience or the needs and expectations of the consumer. I would say it’s a alternative. The fact that I can spray this on a wet car and dry and buff is a huge timesaver. Some of the reports from Autogeek confirm a 4 to 6 months or longer duration.

The earlier products were hit and miss. Carpro had some streaking issues. I believe those have been taken care of. I observed no such streaking or any type of issues with this Sonax product.

So to finalize, it’s another option besides wax and regular sealants. Coatings are in a different category here so I won’t include them but many coatings incorporate the same SIO2 properties. Kamikaze Miyabi Coat is one that is considered tops in the class. For the average consumer who doesn’t want to spend or doesn’t have the time to detail then these new spray sealants are the choice for them.

I plan on keeping track of water sheeting ability so we shall see how long it lasts in my climate.

Better would be the experience or the needs and expectations of the consumer. I would say it’s a alternative. The fact that I can spray this on a wet car and dry and buff is a huge timesaver. Some of the reports from Autogeek confirm a 4 to 6 months or longer duration.

The earlier products were hit and miss. Carpro had some streaking issues. I believe those have been taken care of. I observed no such streaking or any type of issues with this Sonax product.

So to finalize, it’s another option besides wax and regular sealants. Coatings are in a different category here so I won’t include them but many coatings incorporate the same SIO2 properties. Kamikaze Miyabi Coat is one that is considered tops in the class. For the average consumer who doesn’t want to spend or doesn’t have the time to detail then these new spray sealants are the choice for them.

I plan on keeping track of water sheeting ability so we shall see how long it lasts in my climate.

Might not be an accurate assessment with it being so dry this spring.

I had streaking using HydroFoam on my van, primarily because its such a huge surface and so even in shade, there can be some drying. Stupidly I was to blame as I foamed the entire vehicle thinking the residence time of HydroFoam was a good thing.

Ive never had streaking with HydrO2. Ive had small white spots of precipitate when treating too heavily, but I don't believe that CarPro requests the car to be dried after. Sonar does, so I'd suspect they may encounter similar issues.

I'm interested in your longevity assessments. For cars parked outside in mixed sun/shade in the mid-Atlantic, a. On the or so is all you can expect of any coating product, IME. That's exactly why these spray and rinse products are so great. For cars kept always in garages, Ive had pure carnauba wax last literally years. So ease of application for outdoor cars is my thing...

Carpro HydrO2, Zaino Z-CS, and this all fit the mold it seems.

I did not see one.

That is odd. Most silica based products have a limited lifespan- usually a year or less. Is this a silica based product?

I’ve heard of the issues with coatings and some products that limited their shelf life once opened. Clogged nozzles comes to mind.

I checked the bottle again thoroughly and also the Sonax website. No mention of limited lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back