Rotella 10W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some at my local tsc on the clearance shelf 7.99 per gallon and got enough for a few oil changes on the nova. I can say i have never seen 10W40 till then and still don't see it anywhere i suppose it never was popular.

I don't see it here at all. And there is a lot of diesels around here pulling horse/cattle trailers. All flavors of Rotella are 15/40 on the conventional side. Our TSC doesn't carry it. You sure got a good deal!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Which Rotella was it? I've seen T5 (semi-synthetic) 10w40 and 15w40 at my local Tractor Supply, but never anywhere else.

T5.

I always wondered why diesel oil jumps from 5w40 straight to 15w40. I assume its because of 10w40 having a bad rep in the 70s and it never caught on? Or maybe syn oil produces the 5w40 spread from the same amount of VIs as 15w40 mineral so its simpler?

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
I always wondered why diesel oil jumps from 5w40 straight to 15w40. I assume its because of 10w40 having a bad rep in the 70s and it never caught on? Or maybe syn oil produces the 5w40 spread from the same amount of VIs as 15w40 mineral so its simpler?

I made a post asking about that some time ago.
Basically they are redundant because Conventional 15W-40 oils can be made with very little VIIs from mineral base stocks.
And 5W-40 Diesel oils are all full synthetic which is best for cold weather, so 10W-40 diesel oils are kind of redundant.
Shell's flagship diesel oil name in the US is Rotella, elsewhere in the world it's Rimula, The R6 line of Rimulo Diesel oils includes i believe two different flavors of 10W-40 Diesel only oil : R6M and R6L
Here in Spain you can even find 20W-40 oils still, a popular Spanish oil manufcaturer called Cepsa here in Spain makes a 20W-40 Diesel oil and a 20W-40 PCMO.

There are plenty of diesel 10w40s in the UK, the lack of them in your market is an NA phenomena. I seem to remember either Garak or Mola telling me it was the bad rep in the 70s that led to their scarcity in NA today.

I wish we had diesels here in the states but it was ruined in the 70's thanks to GM with the 350 diesel which was a terrible design and utter failure.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I wish we had diesels here in the states but it was ruined in the 70's thanks to GM with the 350 diesel which was a terrible design and utter failure.

False.
Diesel never took off since gasoline in NA was and always has been a fraction of the price in Europe.
coffee2.gif

[quotetry=Lolvoguy]

False.
Diesel never took off since gasoline in NA was and always has been a fraction of the price in Europe.
coffee2.gif
[/quote]

I remember gas in the 70's at $.14 a gallon and diesel was cheaper. It made sense to put one in a pickup...certainly a one ton for sure. It was easier for Detroit to bore out a gasser to over 400 cu/in to make more torque. GM did not help with putting different heads on a gas 350 and try to pass it off as a diesel.

diesel is still better.

Depends who you talk to, and their specific needs.

Diesels are popular in Europe because Diesel is about 25-30 cents cheaper per liter than Gasoline.
Only now is it starting to change because large European cities now have serious air quality problems due to NOx.

10w-40 got a bad reputation for shearing due to the large amount of VI improvers it needed to cover the range.
Funny thing is that today, people use 0w-20s 5w-30s, 5w-40s, 5w-50s, 0w-30s, 0w-40s etc etc that have MUCH
more VI improvers than 10w-40 yet everbody seems ok with it due to slick marketing and misinformation

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
10w-40 got a bad reputation for shearing due to the large amount of VI improvers it needed to cover the range.
Funny thing is that today, people use 0w-20s 5w-30s, 5w-40s, 5w-50s, 0w-30s, 0w-40s etc etc that have MUCH
more VI improvers than 10w-40 yet everbody seems ok with it due to slick marketing and misinformation

Actually it got a bad reputation for having poor VI improvers at the time that created excess deposits on piston ring lands. Today's VI improvers are nothing like they were at that time and are more stable today.

Do you have any technical proof that all those oils you list have "MUCH" more VI improvers than 10W-40? Makes for a nice dramatic post but I'd like to see facts to support it. What if I said instead that out of your list 10W-40 is the one that likely has the most?

I mean you are an ENGINEER, right? Engineers wouldn't say stuff they can't support, would they?

Not to sabotage or muck the thread but...I see you have a '78 Nova 3 speed. Cool. I had a bench seat '78 4 speed Saginaw, 305 for a short while. 305 2bbl was not so hot and 4 spd had bad synchro in 2nd from the get-go. Wonder if the 1 bbl I6 does ok? Shift linkages on columns... they wear? That car has to be one of the last models with three on the tree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back