1950 Allis Chalmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I just acquired an old WD tractor ("gasoline"/"distilate"/"tractor fuel"), and was wondering what BITOG would recommend running in place of the SAE 30 that the factory called for in the engine of this old tractor. I know most folks are split between 10W-30 and a 15W-40 but I was hoping to hear that a 5W or 0W would be advised, mainly because I have a few gallons laying around. What are your thoughts? This will never see field work, just a parade, fair, or tractor show here and there.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:
I used to have an old WD also. I think I used 10w30, but I would see no reason that a 0 or 5 w30 or 40 wouldn't be just fine. Especially for the type of use that it will see.

If it's in good shape, 30 or 10W-30.

My father had a slightly older Allis Chalmers. I don't know the model designation. Replaced by a '52 Ferguson TO-30 or 35.

Originally Posted By: CR94
If it's in good shape, 30 or 10W-30.

I agree. I would not use a 5W30...just personal preference.

And why wouldn’t you use a 5W30? They are both 30 weights, the only thing likely measurably different may be the NOACK number and the viscosity at 100*F.

I say use it if you’ve got it. If you picked up any of the Delo XLE on clearance at WM, use that.
smile.gif

I would avoid any xW30, ILSAC, resource conserving, passenger car motor oils in general. SAE 30 is good, but 10w30 and 15w40 HDEO (diesel rated) oils are ideal (even in an old gasser). The reason being is these have a higher HTHS and are a little more in line with straight weight oils that would have been available back then. My 1952 Farmall Super C has 10w30 Rotella T conventional in it now, and if I were to work it hard in warm weather I would use 15w40.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
I would avoid any xW30, ILSAC, resource conserving, passenger car motor oils in general. SAE 30 is good, but 10w30 and 15w40 HDEO (diesel rated) oils are ideal (even in an old gasser). The reason being is these have a higher HTHS and are a little more in line with straight weight oils that would have been available back then. My 1952 Farmall Super C has 10w30 Rotella T conventional in it now, and if I were to work it hard in warm weather I would use 15w40.
+1
No way I would use/recommend a (highly) unshear-stable 0/5W30 ILSAC oil in place of monograde 30 engine oil , in any applications whether new or old equipments.

Last edited:
If it's just being used in parades I don't see any issue with a 5w30, just monitor the oil level closely in-case it increases consumption or leaks.

Originally Posted by Carbon12

+2

If you don't know the history of the engine, then I'd be reluctant to use anything other than heavier weight oils. Rotella 15W40 always performs well in some of the older engines. You'll also want to be aware of the potential for leaks when using lighter, detergent oils; especially if the engine hasn't been overhauled since the 1960s or 1970s. with lighter detergent oils it's possible that some of the seals that aren't leaking now will soon start leaking like a sieve.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
And why wouldn�t you use a 5W30? They are both 30 weights, the only thing likely measurably different may be the NOACK number and the viscosity at 100*F.

I say use it if you�ve got it. If you picked up any of the Delo XLE on clearance at WM, use that.
smile.gif

Apparently you don't have a clue about vintage engines, especially tractor engines. For example, do you know that some of the WD engines use rope, felt, wick, and burlap seals that don't handle 5WXX or 0WXX oils well? And some of the original breather materials don't tolerate detergent oils? I didn't think so.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
For example, do you know that some of the WD engines use rope, felt, wick, and burlap seals that don't handle 5WXX or 0WXX oils well?

That is where my mind immediately went, also ... "rope style" rear main seal

However, these stand up to 30W and 15w-40 "farm tractor" oils just fine as long as they are relatively clean (or new)

Caked with gunk they get stiff over the years - and won't seal with thinner oils

Originally Posted by Carbon12

+3! Shell T4 15W40 would do well in it.
Or for that matter, how about Delo 400 SAE 30 Motor Oil? It's available on Amazon for reasonable cost and is rated for gas and diesel engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back