Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hard to believe but the Prius has been around for over 20 years since it’s release in Japan in 1997. So what’s the verdict?

I dunno, 20 years isn't that long. I'd give it a couple more just to be sure.

just kidding...

I like the concept. But I took my parents '17 out for a quick spin and didn't warm up to it. LCD's all over the place. I hit cruise in a 40mph zone, just to see what it'd do, and it flashed a warning to me about using cruise in a residential area! I immediately had a Jeremy Clarkson moment and have not wanted to get back into one again.

I recall reading an article about why Honda's rival failed to succeed, and the author pointed out that hybrid buyers (generally) wanted their cars to stick out. Well, I'm not interested in that; honestly, if it's going to have spaceship styling then I expect spaceship acceleration!

I'm sure I'll have one some day but sometimes I think I'd rather have a Mirage or even a Versa. Just for the mechanical feel of it. But then again, once fully autonomous cars get ironed out, and I can sit in the backseat and read a paper on the way to work, I might change my mind.

Have you tried a v (the Prius Wagon) in your area?
Would make a good duty car for wife + kiddos.
Also back seats slide and tilt full set....Useful to keep kiddos busy or sleepy
It's pretty much the printfoot size of a Mazda5

Have not tried the V yet. I fear it would be on the small side. Two kids, a beagle and potentially a Great Dane to go in the back seat. So we figure on a Grand Caravan in the near future. For her. For me, I just need a 4 door to run back and forth to work; my Camry does the job albeit low mpg (30-31mpg). When it wears out I'll look into replacing with a hybrid for the mpg. Assuming the cost/mile is in my favor.

The Prius has always been high quality, high reliability overall, compared to most other cars out there, its true. Great MPG of course too.

That said, my Ford C-Max gets almost as good MPG (45 MPG average, mixed driving), handles way better, steers more precisely, better ride comfort, is quieter, has bigger wheels and tires (helps with potholes, snow+ice, handling), is faster 0-60, is cheaper to buy compared to the comparable PriusV, and its been trouble free for me.

Add up all those advantages of a C-Max over a PriusV and I'm not sure why anybody would buy a PriusV (talking about the large end of the Prius line, not the other small sizes of Prius's). Ford did have some quality problems in the first 1 or 2 years of C-Max production, and took a reputation hit, but recovered nicely after that.

Last edited:
I'd be a fan if it didn't have such strange looking body lines. My GF's 2010 had a few major issues but none were related to the hybrid system itself.

I'd prefer hybrid cars that looked more like normal cars, not the ones that shout "look at me, I'm more environmentally conscious than you". The mid 2000s hybrid Civic that looked almost identical to the gas civic except for a hybrid badge and some different wheels comes to mind.

Then there is the issue of child slave labor to mine the cobalt and other minerals in Africa for the batteries....and you drive a hybrid to ease your conscience about mommy earth? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back