How much oil does your oil filter hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of us pre-fill our oil filters. Have you ever measured how much oil it takes to fill it? If so post your filter model and volume in percentage of a quart.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Imp4
All this info is available in a searchable database over at
OilFilterData.com
No need to post here on a per filter basis.
Just go look up your specific application need.

Thanks, and since it gives out volume in cubic inches, a person can use about 58 cubic inches per quart. Some of the more recent filters are missing but still a pretty good source.

Have to admit I posted this to make some of the Bitoggers aware there is not much oil in their oil filter. Maybe for the 1973 PH8 in their 302 but most modern filters have very little oil in them. Where does that lead? To the other posting where folks are worried about how much dirty oil is in them if they leave the filter on for a 2nd OCI. Anyway, it was discussed enough on that post and gets discussed every few weeks. Have a great day and stay cool!
laugh.gif
Thanks for the contributions!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Have to admit I posted this to make some of the Bitoggers aware there is not much oil in their oil filter. Maybe for the 1973 PH8 in their 302 but most modern filters have very little oil in them. Where does that lead? To the other posting where folks are worried about how much dirty oil is in them if they leave the filter on for a 2nd OCI. Anyway, it was discussed enough on that post and gets discussed every few weeks. Have a great day and stay cool!
laugh.gif
Thanks for the contributions!

I never measured the amount of oil my TG-2 Fram holds for my Ram, but if I had to guess, I'd say a half liter give or take? Regardless, and being unaware what that other thread reads about this practice, I will always prefill this filter when I do an oil change.
My wife's Impala filter is a horizontal type with a slight favorable tilt and I'll also add some to it before installing it.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Fram 10060 for Gen 4 Chev V-8’s : About 0.4 of a quart.

Yep, and a near perfect compromise. Fills fast, gets up to pressure quickly, and still does an excellent job of filtering for V8 engines that are NOT hard on the oil at all. BTW, this also fits my 14 RAM 5.7.

OilFilterData.com

All they are calculating is the volume of the empty can. But the can is not empty, so it holds less oil volume than what they show.

I know a Purolator 14610 sized filter holds ~8 ounces because I measured how much it took to fill up a new filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
OilFilterData.com

All they are calculating is the volume of the empty can. But the can is not empty, so it holds less oil volume than what they show.

I know a Purolator 14610 sized filter holds ~8 ounces because I measured how much it took to fill up a new filter.

Your statement is both true and irrelevant.

So subtract 20%, go with it as being close enough because the reality is that no one cares anyway and live your life young, wild, and free!!!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
OilFilterData.com

Your statement is both true and irrelevant.

So subtract 20%, go with it as being close enough because the reality is that no one cares anyway and live your life young, wild, and free!!!

If nobody cares, why are you posting in this thread?
grin2.gif

OilFilterData.com

Either that's a horrible site, or I run some of the most oddball sized filters that they don't have any data on.

Like the AC Delco PF46... which probably fits hundreds of GM models. Not oddball. Lame site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back