Matrix totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Jun 9, driving along a 35mph road, sunny dry day, I hear a screeching sound seemingly to my left.
Before I can look behind... POW. The other driver then passes to my right, loud noises from under the hood.
I give chase long enough for my passenger (wife) to get the tag number. Back tire rubbing and smoking.
The car was a VW station wagon. The (male) driver looked young.

Turns out he left the front tag at the scene. The tags belonged to a rental truck.
The car skidded about 100 ft before it hit us.
Replaced with 2017 Tucson SE.

https://flic.kr/p/26ZdVw4

That will be back on the road soon sold at your nearby used car lot - fixed (sort of).

Check the vin in Carfax in 3 months
smile.gif

How's the Tucson so far? My Brother in law has one, We went to Boston with them last year - seemed like pretty decent car!

Yep that;s totaled alright. I doubt that car will show up again on the used car market, there isn't enough win to be had in an 06 Matrix with that much damage. Glad no one was hurt in your car.

Johnny: I took the tags off. They're now on the Tucson.

ARCO: The left frame rail is buckled. Pretty much a death sentence for a unibody.

Inspektor: Since the tags didn't match they could get no info. Uninsured motorist coverage to the rescue.

Mark: it had 68,000 miles

Seat height is important to us, for ease of entry/exit.
The Matrix was perfect. The Tucson is a bit higher, but still comfy.
The 2L Tucson accelerates about the same as the 5-speed Matrix,
thus varying amounts of hyperbole on the internet about it being under powered.
I'll miss the stick shift (maybe my left leg won't in stop-and-go traffic).
I'm much more confident in the conventional auto trans than the dual-clutch used in the higher trims.

Last edited:
Glad everyone is ok. Doesn't look like a lot of damage. Incredible that it's a total...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Glad everyone is ok. Doesn't look like a lot of damage. Incredible that it's a total...

Thats a big hit, it would total a 2018.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Book value is so little any body work will have it declare totaled. I agree it’s fixable.

Follow the auction it gets set to. When my vibe was totalled they wouldn't tell me who purchased my car, they found it strange that i was curious. I watched it sell online and they said it was bound for export. Most likely it will go to Ghana or somewhere without a local car market.

Sorry to hear. Looks just like the 05 that I have but it's an automatic with 139k. I remember when the OP put new rims on it. It will probably be shipped in its current state to the caribbean. Where it will be fixed up cheaply and put back on the road.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Follow the auction it gets set to. When my vibe was totalled they wouldn't tell me who purchased my car, they found it strange that i was curious. I watched it sell online and they said it was bound for export. Most likely it will go to Ghana or somewhere without a local car market.

Many older Toyota Camrys Germain Auto received in on trade at one time were being exported out of the United States.

My daughter had a 2005 Matrix that was totaled a year and a half ago. It was a great car that was easy to maintain. Her Mazda 3 is much more time consuming to do little things. ie - an hour to change the cabin filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back