What!? You change your own oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

What!? You changed the oil yourself?

You have to remember MB dealerships are not on the same planet as the rest of us. That's why they charge such unearthly prices.

I change my own.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Truth is 99% of owners of $75K cars aren't changing their own oil. That percentage is likely much different on BITOG. Heck, 99% of all owners probably...does 1 in 100 change their oil??

I would guess that 99% of the owners of $7.5K cars don't change their own oil.
People have grown fat and lazy in recent decades and their excuse is always that they're "too busy" to maintain their stuff, cut their grass or do basic home repairs.
They aren't too busy, they're too lazy and they seem okay with spending their retirement on having car maintenance done, a lawn service, a plumber for every slow drain or leaky faucet and an electrician for each wall switch that needs replacement.
Even if you can well afford it, why pay someone else large money to perform a simple task?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Truth is 99% of owners of $75K cars aren't changing their own oil. That percentage is likely much different on BITOG. Heck, 99% of all owners probably...does 1 in 100 change their oil??

People have grown fat and lazy in recent decades and their excuse is always that they're "too busy" to maintain their stuff, cut their grass or do basic home repairs.
They aren't too busy, they're too lazy and they seem okay with spending their retirement on having car maintenance done, a lawn service, a plumber for every slow drain or leaky faucet and an electrician for each wall switch that needs replacement.
Even if you can well afford it, why pay someone else large money to perform a simple task?

Now,now. AutoZone sells a lot of oil. It's not just to 1% of car owners.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Cause we work like dogs at high paying very stressful jobs and are spent from doing all of that. With the money we make from those jobs the cost of lawn service, plumbers electrician's and the like is but a small percentage of our take home pay.

If it is important to you to save that money, and you don't mind spending all of your limited time away from your regular job on those things, then have at it.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Cause we work like dogs at high paying very stressful jobs and are spent from doing all of that. With the money we make from those jobs the cost of lawn service, plumbers electrician's and the like is but a small percentage of our take home pay.

If it is important to you to save that money, and you don't mind spending all of your limited time away from your regular job on those things, then have at it.
I would find a different job--the stress you describe will squash your quality of life far more than any menial household tasks would.

Easy SeaJay.

Do as you like? Some live in apartments or do not have a good tool collection. Others maybe body sore or worried about breaking something sophisticated while trying to fix something. I used to attempt everything I could with an unlimited tool fund and a youtube video. Now, I do what I can with what I got and prefer a pro at the dealership do the serious work perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
But mechanical work can be dangerous if you dumb up and drop a car upon yourself .

Very little in life is safe .

I think if a BITOGer dies while changing oil, Helen immortalises them here.
wink.gif

I would find a different job--the stress you describe will squash your quality of life far more than any menial household tasks would.

+1

Keep thinking that way, CJ.... You claim you are from the NYC area. The rates for lawn service (who has a lawn large enough to pay someone in NYC?), plumber, electrician and vehicle maintenance aren't cheap. I'll keep a lookout on your whine thread about how much it cost to replace a 40-gallon water heater next year...

Heard on the radio that something like 50% of folks wouldn't know how to refill washer fluid. 60% of folks wouldn't know how to change their own oil. Changing a tire was just above that IIRC and DIY'rs were very little of the interviewees.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
I'm the only person in my circle of friends, or entire family that does this. I do all the non-warranty maintenance for 3 cars, and I enjoy it. I'm a huge question mark to everyone I know. What they don't know is that they're all huge question marks to me, since they take their cars to places like Jiffy Lube and Wal Mart. I'd sooner drive it off a cliff. There's a certain satisfaction and peace-of-mind that comes along with knowing for sure what oil is in the car, and that your filter & drain plug weren't cross-threaded. It's also the cheapest way to use 'synthetics', as the up-charge for that is ridiculous at most places.

With a username like that, I'd stay away from DIY work entirely. You'll likely get injured by the shipping company dumping the box...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
But mechanical work can be dangerous if you dumb up and drop a car upon yourself .

Very little in life is safe .

I think if a BITOGer dies while changing oil, Helen immortalises them here.
wink.gif

A Bitog'er dying while changing oil is like a Muslim dying while on Jihad, you are granted 72 jugs of your favorite oil in Bitog heaven.

Originally Posted By: thooks

+1

Keep thinking that way, CJ.... You claim you are from the NYC area. The rates for lawn service (who has a lawn large enough to pay someone in NYC?), plumber, electrician and vehicle maintenance aren't cheap. I'll keep a lookout on your whine thread about how much it cost to replace a 40-gallon water heater next year.

I am from the NYC area and happily pay their prices. Have never whined yet and have paid my plumber to replace my water heater twice already. It may need it again soon before I retire and move in a few years. Had my plumber in last week, he spent about 45 minutes to an hour replacing a pipe below and resealing the kitchen sink strainer to fix a leaking condition. $150 cost (which includes his travel time that can be long by me) and well worth it to me. Back when we first brought our house it was the plumber's father that did the work, now it is his son.

As I have said, if folks feel the cost is too much, they can do it themselves. If folks believe that it is a sign of laziness to pay pros to do work rather than DIY, well it is a free country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back