Door rust problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2013 Equinox is rusting along the bottoms of the front doors where the outer panel is crimped on. Again. Was fixed back in 2015 when it was still within GM's 3/36000 rust warranty. Noticed the other day that the rust is showing again. Now it's out of the rust warranty unless it happens to rust all the way through in the next year. Google turns up that lots of Equinox/Terrain have rusty doors and GM is mostly "too bad, so sad" about it. So, short of hitting it with rust converter, primer and touch up paint, what can we do?

Thats why Carwell rust treatment shoves a long wand into each door and sprays their product into the door to prevent this.

I would take care of the outside with rust converter. Then peel away any sealant or caulk above the pinch weld seal and hit it with a metal protector or similar.

Some smaller body shops will work on rust problems.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
So, short of hitting it with rust converter, primer and touch up paint, what can we do?

You don't leave us many options to recommend. Spray it with FF inside and out or take it to a shop.

Originally Posted By: Trav
So, short of hitting it with rust converter, primer and touch up paint, what can we do?

You don't leave us many options to recommend. Spray it with FF inside and out or take it to a shop.

What is "FF"?

I had some rust in the lower right corner of a Toyota truck tailgate. I had limited access to the area, so I removed the panel covering the lock mechanism and sprayed Fluid Film into the tailgate with an aerosol can. Problem solved for about five years now. Fluid Film has a surprising ability to creep and travel for something so thick. One aerosol can would be enough for a couple of doors.

Originally Posted By: Trav

What is "FF"?

Fluid Film

The rust cancer is in there, and it's not going to be cured without replacing metal.

If you want a vehicle's body to last in the Mid-West salt and rust belt, buy a new one, and as a first task, drive it around the lake to a Krown shop in Canada or Michigan, and get it sprayed. Repeat the spraying process annually. Then worry about which oil/ATF/filters to use to get to 300K+ miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khittner
The rust cancer is in there, and it's not going to be cured without replacing metal.

If you want a vehicle's body to last in the Mid-West salt and rust belt, buy a new one, and as a first task, drive it around the lake to a Krown shop in Canada or Michigan, and get it sprayed. Repeat annually.

Or CarWell or FF.

You need a product like one of the 3 above that "seeps" and a knowledgeable person to do the spraying.

if your in canada gm has a recall on this problem not in the states
I've keep cars for years and hate rust,i driver 2013 equinox and all doors have has bubbled at bottom seam.

If you have access to cans of Rust Check or Krown spray, use those or if there is one of their shops near you, spend the $100 bucks or so and have the whole vehicle sprayed annually.
The products the dealers apply are way over priced and not near as good as either of those companies, imo.

Originally Posted By: khittner

If you want to fix it, find some matching southern doors and get them oil sprayed. Your doors are done, there is rust in the pinch weld.

Trade it in for another Honda! Seriously, that shouldn't be a problem in this day and age. GM should make things right.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Trade it in for another Honda! Seriously, that shouldn't be a problem in this day and age. GM should make things right.

Absolutely correct. There is no excuse for this kind of body panel rust issues with today's technology. Dump the car and buy a brand that does not rust.

I nominate Mazda as the next vehicle for the OP
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back