Ca 2051

Ba 1

P 687

Zn 751

Fuel%
Soot
Water
Vis100c 7.3

This is the first change so the oil is actually M/C 5W-20 (factory fill). All future UOA will be the Kendall product. Everything looks good for the first drain. The next drain will be about 6000 miles on the oil.
This is the DPFI engine. In addition to changes in the fuel system and some internals, it now holds 8.8 qts. vs. the older 7.7 capacity. The oil pan and drain plug are plastic. The plug just twists out by hand and is sealed by an o-ring. Two locking ears hold it in place.
I'm going to pick up a spare drain plug just in case the locking ears ever show wear.

Congrats on the new truck. The fuel system changes they made on the 5.0 seem pretty cool. I have looked at using Kendall before, but can't justify it when I can easily get 5 quart jugs of full synthetic for 10-15 bucks. Let me know if you know of any better deals on Kendall.

Originally Posted By: Merovingian
Are you sure that this oil Kendall - where is the liquid titanium in this case?

The first line of his post states it was motorcraft not Kendall.

Not much different from my '18 5.0 Coyote posted earlier except for the fuel dilution number. I find it hard to believe the oil started life at 7.3 cSt @ 100C.

Originally Posted By: doyall
Not much different from my '18 5.0 Coyote posted earlier except for the fuel dilution number. I find it hard to believe the oil started life at 7.3 cSt @ 100C.

According to the PQIA website, the range for 5W-20 oils is 5.6 to 9.3 cSt @ 100C. Their sample of M/C tested at 8.6 but it was also in 2013. In any event, it's now on Kendall so we'll see what the next change looks like.

Originally Posted By: AITG
According to the PQIA website, the range for 5W-20 oils is 5.6 to 9.3 cSt @ 100C. Their sample of M/C tested at 8.6 but it was also in 2013. In any event, it's now on Kendall so we'll see what the next change looks like.

Again, I find it hard to believe the oil started life at 7.3 cSt @ 100C. A 7.3 cSt @ 100C virgin 5W-20 in a brand new engine is highly unlikely. Geez, that is almost a SAE 16 grade. You are real, real close to 3% fuel dilution. Look up my test (3% dilution by GC - 7.2 cSt). You need gas chromatography fuel dilution testing for any degree of accuracy. The flash point estimation method is dependent on knowing the flash point of the same batch virgin oil as tested used. They may assume within some degree of error, but do not definitively know, what the virgin flash point was. Even if it is Motorcraft 5W-20 (you and they are only guessing unless you were there when it was installed), the flash point can be different from sample to sample. Same with the Kendall.

I am only being a stickler so we do not use erroneous numbers to delude ourselves into thinking the dual injection system on the '18 Coyotes is the cure for the direct-injection-fuel-dilution problem. It looks marginally encouraging, but only time and proper testing will tell.

nice report! I plan on using the IOLM on my 2018 5.0. And changing to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 0w-20 with a Fram Ultra filter. It seems to be tracking down quicker then my old trucks. Will likely be between 5-6K miles before it goes off, but this may also be because it sat on the lot for a couple months too. My 2016 would always go off around 8k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back