better day

Status
Not open for further replies.
wishing us all a safe and cooler day.

was warm here in ny, real feel was pushing around 100.

I know some of us have it much worse. so be safe out there in this heat keep in shade when possible stay hydrated and wear a sunblock.

Bye for now.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Dastardly Chinese!

confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Looks like some locations in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico will hit 100 F today. Be cool!

Yeah, it's only supposed to hit 100 today... Last Tuesday was 109, and this Friday is supposed to hit 115. Seems about right for the first official day of Summer.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Looks like some locations in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico will hit 100 F today. Be cool!

Yeah, it's only supposed to hit 100 today... Last Tuesday was 109, and this Friday is supposed to hit 115. Seems about right for the first official day of Summer.

You have our permission to run 15w-40.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Kira
Dastardly Chinese!

confused2.gif

I think he's referring to the amount of coal they're burning, although we burn a fair amount too, here in the USA. Especially with A/C running 24/7!

Yes its been gross in the north jersey area. However, we are almost halfway through the year, so soon enough well be wishing it was 100!

You have our permission to run 15w-40.
banana2.gif

I get the feeling you may have said this half tongue-in-cheek, but I've actually kind of done this before in my Fusion. Even though it specs 5w-20, on at least one OCI, the fill included at least 1.5 quarts of T5 15W-40, along with some HM 5W-30 and some conventional 5w-20.

My next oil change is due around mid-late July, and since August is usually our hottest month, with many days over 115 and even up in the 120 range, I'm probably going to fill with either straight T5 10W-30, or T4 15W-40 topped with my last quart of PUP 5w20.

My next oil change is due around mid-late July, and since August is usually our hottest month, with many days over 115 and even up in the 120 range, I'm probably going to fill with either straight T5 10W-30, or T4 15W-40 topped with my last quart of PUP 5w20.

Do you still have your catalytic converter? The T4 and T5 are not SN rated as far as I know and have copious amounts of Zinc (bad for converters). Maybe you want to pick up a 0w40 OR 5w40 with a AECA 3/4 and a SN rating such as Castrol. If you've been running T4 and T5 already, or its a diesel, please disregard this note.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Do you still have your catalytic converter? The T4 and T5 are not SN rated as far as I know and have copious amounts of Zinc (bad for converters). Maybe you want to pick up a 0w40 OR 5w40 with a AECA 3/4 and a SN rating such as Castrol. If you've been running T4 and T5 already, or its a diesel, please disregard this note.
smile.gif

The jug of T5 that I have - A 2.5 gallon jug from a year or two ago - is at least SM rated. Not sure if it's SN - I'll have to verify this when I get home. Regardless, SM classification states "For 2010 and older automotive engines", and my Fusion is a 2010 built in 2009, so I'm fine there.

As far as the catalytic converters and the concern over Zinc goes, this is only a problem if the oil is burning and reaching the converter - an issue that my car does not have. Over a 7,500 mile OCI, the oil level does not drop by any visibly noticeable amount, so for all practical purposes, my engine does not burn any oil, and so the zinc levels are not a concern.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Wouldn't a good 5w40 SYNTHETIC set you straight?

Perhaps, but I have a rather large stash already, and all the oils in it are at least rated SM, which works for my 2010 Fusion. The Ford-recommended Motorcraft oil is a synthetic-blend, so T5, which is also a synth blend, at least meets that level. Heck, T4, while still being 'conventional' is stout enough, I'd say it will hold up and protect as well.. and probably contains a percentage of 'synthetic' stock anyways.

Because of the heat, the only really pertinent number (for the most part) is the one before the "W", since it never gets below 90 in the summer. I know about VIIs in oils with a wide spread (5W-40, 5W-50, etc..) but again with the heat here, and my extended highway driving, I suspect most of it is going to shear down over time.. I figure the HD oils might help to overcome that somewhat.

All sounds good. What started as comments on the weather ended up as an analysis on your oil!
lol.gif

According to the Rotella website T-5 no longer has a SN or SM rating, but you already have your SM stash.
I can’t comment on the oil burning thing. Just don’t know. Good luck and keep cool.

Because of the heat, the only really pertinent number (for the most part) is the one before the "W", since it never gets below 90 in the summer.

Wouldn't you mean "after" the W? The one before the W is for cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back