BRAVO to Officer Wheeles......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Not sure if the driver was oblivious or intentionally annoying fellow motorists but she deserved the summons in either case.

I drive mostly in MA and NH and left lane hoggers are a huge problem in those states (left lane is also only for passing by law in both).
The best is when somebody putzes along in the left lane just barely passing slow moving traffic on the right and then floors it when you try to get around them on either side.
I am ashamed to admit that my wife does her share of left lane blocking and refuses to listen when I tell her that she's breaking the law just as much as she would be if she drove over the speed limit.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I see the opposite here
The bozos that speed here try to get away with it in the right lane.
Like going 95 mph or so

I've accepted that in my area the right lane is the passing lane.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: Zee09
I see the opposite here
The bozos that speed here try to get away with it in the right lane.
Like going 95 mph or so

I've accepted that in my area the right lane is the passing lane.

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The best is when somebody putzes along in the left lane just barely passing slow moving traffic on the right and then floors it when you try to get around them on either side.

I've been know to do this every now and again, but not because I'm the leader in the putzing along-- I'm usually stuck behind a row of cars following a left-lane leader that is taking their sweet time passing. Then I'll see some moron a few cars behind me floor it in the attempt to cut someone off and get a couple vehicles ahead. If I see any daylight ahead of me that they might be able to use to cut me off, there won't be any by the time they get up toward me.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I've been know to do this every now and again, but not because I'm the leader in the putzing along-- I'm usually stuck behind a row of cars following a left-lane leader that is taking their sweet time passing. Then I'll see some moron a few cars behind me floor it in the attempt to cut someone off and get a couple vehicles ahead. If I see any daylight ahead of me that they might be able to use to cut me off, there won't be any by the time they get up toward me.

Me,... something similar:

You can see from my signature I don't drive "intimidating" cars.

So I just leave some space in front of me.

Somebody more intimidation/aggressive will move, than all of a sudden, the putzing-vehicle will wake up. Win-Win, and the whole queue of cars can move...

P.S. added insult: Truck/Semi VERY loaded passes on the right driving the posted speed.
P.S. Added insult 2: you pass the "passer" on the right while driving at safe speed.

Now if we can only get more Cops to do their job and stop aggressive drivers. You've got to admit that there are many more idiots causing wrecks because of aggressive driving than left lane slow pokes. I'm in no way defending the actions of these left lane drivers but I see it daily where aggressive idiots won't even give someone a chance to move over before darting around like they're in NASCAR. The other side to this is that some idiots drive so fast that they're unpredictable and sometimes it's better to just stay put in your lane and let them go.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This should be so common that it doesn't get a bit of attention.

Unfortunately, it not that way.

Agreed. The officer goes on to describe the "accordion effect" caused by slow left lane driving, he says resulting in many 'interstate crashes.' Quoting Officer Wheeles, "if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane to allow them to pass." Indiana Law dated 4/1/2015 states "the left lane of a multilane highway is for passing."

And while passing on the right may be legal in some places, most states have some kind of "keep right" law, ie., the left lane the designated 'passing lane'. Keep Right law compilation listed in link.

State "keep right" laws.

Wow, had a long drive home last night and the left lane cruisers on 81/78/NJ Turnpike were just horrendous. Started to hit some rain in PA and all kinds of cars just moved to the left and plodded along at about 50mph, the semi drivers were getting furious and just flying by while they weaved all over the road. I probably only flash my high beams once every two or three years and one guy was being so bad with hitting his brakes and dropping down to 40mph every time there was the slightest curve while semis screamed by on our right that I was popping him over and over...maybe he was on bald tires and had to do that to stay in control, but he had NO right to pull that garbage in the left lane! Finally had a gap in the trucks to get around him safely and let somebody else be stuck behind him in a terrifying situation.
Getting through NYC was horrifying due to a car needing a tow on the Deegan (it only takes one vehicle to tie up the entire city) and then I ended up on I95 in CT for a while, what a difference! I mostly kept it between 70-80 out of the passing lane but rarely all the way to the right to give the mergers a break and so many pairs of vehicles were racing each other and flying by me on both sides as they attempted to gain slight advantages over each other. I'm used to that stuff, but my wife was freaking out and I just told her that I95 is nuts and full of people running drugs up the coast and that we'd be off on some podunk parkway soon enough.

Heh, 81 is a nightmare for left lane hogs. It's typically semi's doing .5mph faster than the other truck in the left lane. It will back things up for miles.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Heh, 81 is a nightmare for left lane hogs. It's typically semi's doing .5mph faster than the other truck in the left lane. It will back things up for miles.

Oh yeah, had a lot of that going on before the rain issues later in the trip.
One US Mail truck in particular was taking his sweet time passing another semi where we only had two lanes, just when it seemed like he was actually going to get ahead he slowed down and let the other semi overtake him on the right. Many of the car drivers trapped by this were frantically changing lanes back and forth trying to get around the roadblock and then there was a huge stream of them passing the mail truck on the right and then squeezing in the tiny gap between the semis...I was stuck behind the indecisive and/or troublemaking US Mail driver as this was going on.
At least all this was happening somewhere in the vicinity of the speed limit, that car in the modest rain that came later was bordering on being reckless with his low speeds in the passing lane and constantly jamming his brakes on. I gave him a wide berth because of his erratic driving and, of course, most of the drivers behind us were trying to punish ME for not tailgating him enough!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back