Why high resale value on Jeeps if frames rust out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully boxed frames are a death sentence here in terms salt belt.

Buthe people seem to really like wranglers on the road. The newest ones have come a long way !

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Tell me why Tacoma is such a desired pickup I leased one and within 4 months got the dealer to buy it back. Wasn't even worth beating it to death GARBAGE TRUCK it is.

Funny you should say that. One of my best friends on the planet bought a 2006. Saved up for 3 years. He hated it. Had some weird rattles and got less than stellar MGP. Don't get me wrong it is a GOOD truck, just not what he expected. 9 months into ownership he bought a 2007 Denali 6.2. Just sold it with 220,000 on it and picked up a 2018 Denali Diesel.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Tell me why Tacoma is such a desired pickup I leased one and within 4 months got the dealer to buy it back. Wasn't even worth beating it to death GARBAGE TRUCK it is.
Tell me why you're hijacking this thread and didn't start your own?!?
We are busy bashing Jeep's here.
Let's go to another thread to bash Taco's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have never seen a rusty frame here.
Because in SoCal when it snows they use that special road salt formula called 'Sunshine and 72°'.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Imp4
Because they fulfill the masculine projections of the suburban white male.
Look at me! Look at how burly I am!

Oh come on, you're projecting yourself right now.

Jeeps are a hoot. A blast. A great time, on or off road.
And no engineer worth his weight in salt would ever design one.
Garbage.
Dangerous. Crude. Unreliable. Not a hoot.

Enjoy your $83 footpeg.

I bet you're really fun to party with

A Jeep salesman told me that the Jeep 4-wheel drive system is so good you'll never get stuck.

It's been my experience that every 4-wheel drive vehicle can get stuck. The better the vehicle's off road capability the worse thing are when you finally get stuck. If you're not getting stuck every now and then you're just not having any fun.

I think the Jeep salesman is geared toward talking to idiots.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
It is crazy out here in the Pacific Northwest. No rot even if you off road and just clean them.

Or not, still no rot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Explain that one!

Obviously people buy Jeeps because they like them.

Anything that can rust, will, if it is neglected in a highly corrosive environment. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw severe rust on all makes and models of vehicles. If you want a vehicle to last in a highly corrosive environment, it's going to take some effort to do so, as is spelled out in every owners manual I've ever had.

Clearly Jeeps need to be constructed from dreams and dipped in unicorn tears to stop them from rusting in places all other makes and models will rust.

I've seen some pretty ugly Toyota rot boxes in my day, why is their resell so [censored] high?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What is a footpeg?

(When it isn't on a motorcycle. I know what it is then.

Its a footpeg)

You know, a footpeg, starting at $83.
To rest your foot on. When you're driving.
From ExtremeTerrain.com

It goes something like this:

In my life Jeeps were brush painted, "Army surplus" things people had at Summer homes. Several people would own ONE and use it to launch boats.

Besides all the image stuff (aka brain poisoning) I honestly believe many people think "Jeeps are rugged so they don't require maintenance".

I worked with a HIGHLY mechanically disinclined guy who said that and believed it.

ps After a while, in light of my emerging as the owner / driver of the oldest cars of anyone at work, a few came around and agreed with me that maintenance of machines is required. So glad these people get the same number of votes I do. <==That's sarcasm.

assuming Wranglers, one word; Fun....and also useable as an everyday car.

Impractical? yes. Economical? no. Safest thing out there? no (but they got much better with every generation). If these are critical to you, then there are many other choices.

But, take the top & doors off, strap the kids in, get a beach permit and have fun!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A Jeep salesman told me that the Jeep 4-wheel drive system is so good you'll never get stuck.

It's been my experience that every 4-wheel drive vehicle can get stuck. The better the vehicle's off road capability the worse thing are when you finally get stuck. If you're not getting stuck every now and then you're just not having any fun.

I think the Jeep salesman is geared toward talking to idiots.

In the very soft beach sand of long island, any and all vehicles can and do get stuck, including jeeps on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back