Why high resale value on Jeeps if frames rust out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure what you meant, then I took a look...wow, insane!

I had a friend who was the shop foreman/head mechanic/whatever you call the person who ran the department at his family's Jeep dealership. He was a Ford man, however, through and through. I never gave that much thought.

Another friend asked him about getting a good deal on a Jeep there.

My friend the mechanic's reply was, "I wouldn't recommend buying a Jeep unless you're the head mechanic at your dad's dealership, and even then you may be able to only barely afford all of the work it would need. I could never in good conscience recommend one to anyone I know."

Yes, my brother insanely wants an older CJ-5 or CJ-7, preferably with a 304 or transplanted Chevy SB-and I told him he better buy a chipping hammer to test the frame with before he buys one, to the tune of $15K plus!!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Eventually the mud seeps in where the rust has eaten away and you end up with a fossilized frame. Have you priced fossils lately??

Good one!

Many reasons.

1) Because Jeep!

2) Frame rust out is common on high riding vehicles, particularly those that go off-road. It sure beats rust-out on a unibody vehicle. In other words this is a normal thing not some Jeep flaw. They might rust out a bit faster than some, but it's not like you can easily play mix and match with different vehicles frames bolting right on.

3) High amount of aftermarket parts to make them more off-road worthy, especially when most of the market has switched to unibody crossover designs.

4) Mechanically simple, you can save thousands of dollars on DIY auto repairs over a few years of ownership and if you do go off road, you will appreciate that.

5) Not terribly hard to pull a cab off the frame and repair it if you're doing a full scale rebuild anyway.

What is their main competition? Toyota also has high resale value.

Because they fulfill the masculine projections of the suburban white male.
Look at me! Look at how burly I am!

I mean, doesn't everybody need an $83 footpeg?
And from a place called "ExtremeTerrain.com" no less.

What a joke!
And garbage quality too, like most FCA products.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Oh come on, you're projecting yourself right now.

Jeeps are a hoot. A blast. A great time, on or off road.

Buyers don't seem to care...they consider it a cool vehicle..the last of the true off roaders that never "sold out" unlike Bronco,Blazer,Cherokee...etc.. Frankly I consider them one of the most dangerous,crudest vehicles on the roads.How anyone can drive one long distance with any comfort at all is a mystery.Maybe if they like those,they should go back to a Pinto or Chevette....2 more penalty boxes.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

And no engineer worth his weight in salt would ever design one.
Garbage.
Dangerous. Crude. Unreliable. Not a hoot.

Enjoy your $83 footpeg.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Don't feed him roofless.
smile.gif

They are a cool family car. Both men and women can drive them without feeling lame because it still looks rugged even though it is not a V8 powered truck.
Manual trans, too.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
They are a cool family car. Both men and women can drive them without feeling lame because it still looks rugged even though it is not a V8 powered truck.
Manual trans, too.

This is true, but man I wish the got better MPG. I have never been a jeep guy but understand why people love them.

Tell me why Tacoma is such a desired pickup I leased one and within 4 months got the dealer to buy it back. Wasn't even worth beating it to death GARBAGE TRUCK it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back