VOA Castrol Magnatec D1G2, 5w30

Thanks to everyone who posted that the new Magnatec "recipe" was out. I couldn't wait, I liked the specs. I searched around and I was able to find it at walmart (had it before anyone else) and it's in my project civic car now.

I sent this VOA to Blackstone and just got it back today. Look at that, Moly AND Titanium! I also switched from 5w20 GTX Ultraclean because I felt it was too thin for my civic, so went with 5w30.

I'm liking it so far in the civic (1.6L vtec engine).

Enjoy..

I like the looks of it....at 10.25 cSt @ 100*C it's not overly thick for 20w applications either.
I wonder if the TBN of 7.1 matters for longer (10K) OCIs?

Moly and Titanium are common in most D1G2 VOA’s I’ve seen.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

Yep. Maybe the titanium is for the timing chain antiwear requirements? Several other brands have adopted this same add pack.

Wow !!
With 60 ppm Moly, 30 ppm Titanium and ~ 200 ppm Boron, this is not the old Magnatec of a few years ago.

Zinc is a bit lower at ~ 700 ppm (your GTX UltraClean was ~ 800 ppm), but I assume the Titanium is doing the heavy lifting here, which the GTX didn't have.

Nice LSPI friendly detergent pack of both Ca (~ 1060) & Mg ( 715 ppm) in the Magnatec. The GTX UltraClean was all Calcium (2574 ppm)
Good to compare the two (GTX UOA Link)
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790207/

Thanks for the VOA

Thank you for posting. This is the oil I've been running in our 2016 3.6L GM V6 engines (My Colorado, and my wife's Lacrosse). Viscosity is a little thinner than the old Magnatec IIRC.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
This is what I use. I appreciate the post.

you're most welcome..

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

oh so that's the new thing to do.. I'm liking both of them, kind of a best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Wow !!
With 60 ppm Moly, 30 ppm Titanium and ~ 200 ppm Boron, this is not the old Magnatec of a few years ago.

Zinc is a bit lower at ~ 700 ppm (your GTX UltraClean was ~ 800 ppm), but I assume the Titanium is doing the heavy lifting here, which the GTX didn't have.

Nice LSPI friendly detergent pack of both Ca (~ 1060) & Mg ( 715 ppm) in the Magnatec. The GTX UltraClean was all Calcium (2574 ppm)
Good to compare the two (GTX UOA Link)
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790207/

Thanks for the VOA

hey SR5, you're welcome for the post. thanks for comparing the two (magnatec and ultraclean). Yup the GTX never had any titanium.. I think the old formulas Edge had a little bit of titanium in there.

I was excited when I first heard (on here of course) about the new "recipe" for Magnatec, and for me it checks all the boxes! Have to see the UOA on this when I get done, someone else will probably beat me to it!

Originally Posted By: novadude
Thank you for posting. This is the oil I've been running in our 2016 3.6L GM V6 engines (My Colorado, and my wife's Lacrosse). Viscosity is a little thinner than the old Magnatec IIRC.

hey no problem, you're welcome. I thought everyone would like to know quickly what's in the new formula. I know I wanted to know! You're right it is a little thinner than it used to be, but that seems like all the dexos1 gen2 are like that.

No insolubles detected, the oil is clean, no filter will make it cleaner. Interesting people say new oil is not clean. This one is.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
No insolubles detected, the oil is clean, no filter will make it cleaner. Interesting people say new oil is not clean. This one is.

Thanks for pointing that out! I was looking more at the main ingredients, but you're right! Nice and clean!
thumbsup2.gif

No, people (me) say that new oil can be incredibly dirty...that's NOT saying that new oil is not clean.

Magnatec professional range is 5um filtered into the drum...and no, I'm not saying that this is Magnatec Professional by it's apparent cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

No, people (me) say that new oil can be incredibly dirty...that's NOT saying that new oil is not clean.

Magnatec professional range is 5um filtered into the drum...and no, I'm not saying that this is Magnatec Professional by it's apparent cleanliness.

Interesting, I learn something new everyday. I was always more concerned with the ingredients and the viscosity of the oil. But I should have also been looking at how dirty the oil is! Interesting that this is that clean..

Thank you for this researcher.

This voa reminds me of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic... The titanium, boron and calcium and magnesium amounts are very similar to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: tba
See Scotty Kilmer on Youtube about using wrong viscosity in VTEC engines

Like what? Assuming you mean 5W-30 is wrong.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Thank you for this researcher.

This voa reminds me of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic... The titanium, boron and calcium and magnesium amounts are very similar to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic.

hey bbhero, you're most welcome! I couldn't wait to find out what was in the new recipe. You're right, a lot of the newer d1g2 oils are starting to look alike!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: tba
See Scotty Kilmer on Youtube about using wrong viscosity in VTEC engines

Like what? Assuming you mean 5W-30 is wrong.

5w20 was working for the VTEC, it's that the Castrol Ultraclean in 5w20 was just "too thin" for my application. This newer Magnatec is working well, not as thick as it used to be. So that works for me.

EDIT:about kilmer on youtube.. I'm not really that open minded to take advice from a guy who screams into the camera and has questionable repair practices.

Last edited:
BTW guys, regarding those extra low levels of Aluminum and Iron you see in these VOAs:

These are due to the Metal Inhibitor and Anti-Corrosion chemistry that is part of the Additive (PI) package.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
BTW guys, regarding those extra low levels of Aluminum and Iron you see in these VOAs:

These are due to the Metal Inhibitor and Anti-Corrosion chemistry that is part of the Additive (PI) package.

hey molakule, you read my mind! I was always thinking those were impurities during the manufacturing process. Then I wasn't sure how Aluminum and Iron could get in there during production. I was always thinking about that.

It's good to finally know what that ACTUALLY is! Thanks for the info!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Welcome back Mola.
smile.gif

Back