Cost-no-object 75W-90 GL-5 for a differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had unlimited funds for a 75W-90 GL-5 diff fluid, BUT you had to buy something that's currently made (no one-off custom formulations), what would you pick, and why?

Hoping for some good technical reasons here, not just brand boosting. I'm not as informed on gear lubes as I should be.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mobil Delvac.

Major label, known high quality - probably seen more use and abuse than most any other gear oil.

Very good point.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you had unlimited funds for a 75W-90 GL-5 diff fluid, BUT you had to buy something that's currently made (no one-off custom formulations), what would you pick, and why?

Hoping for some good technical reasons here, not just brand boosting. I'm not as informed on gear lubes as I should be.

Guys...

All regurgitated marketing claims aside can any one prove the differences between any of the major brands

Mobil Delvac.

Major label, known high quality - probably seen more use and abuse than most any other gear oil.

Impressive list of certs, too.

Would you really take it over, say, Motul Gear 300? That oil has pretty good provenance in its own right, and its VI and KV40 are in a completely different league.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Mobil Delvac.

Impressive list of certs, too.

Would you really take it over, say, Motul Gear 300? That oil has pretty good provenance in its own right, and its VI and KV40 are in a completely different league.

Personally I would - it is a race-provrn lubricant in Porsche transaxles.

I've used Super Tech 75W-90, and 75w-140 in my diffs. They don't seem to notice any difference between it and designer lubes.

My evidence was that redline would repeatedly get louder in my BMW E30 LSD. People would pump it, but it wouldn't last.

Same thing as I evidenced for MT shift feel.

Redline has been long overrated.

Specialty Formulations was the best diff oil.

Ive observed spectacular cleaning from Mobil 1, and great performance from Amsoil Severe Gear.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Mobil Delvac 1

Very good point.

+3 … Delvac 1 in the G80 now …

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My evidence was that redline would repeatedly get louder in my BMW E30 LSD. People would pump it, but it wouldn't last.

Same thing as I evidenced for MT shift feel.

I had the same experience with Red Line fluids in my old E36 M3, as have my friends who've run those fluids in their E36s, E46s, and E39s.

Specialty Formulations was the best diff oil.

That's the name I was trying to remember!

Ive observed spectacular cleaning from Mobil 1, and great performance from Amsoil Severe Gear.

Performance as determined how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back