'09 Honda Civic 103K AT fluid spill & fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Honda Civic, 103K miles, original fluid, no abnormal AT behavior

Drained ~3qts and replaced with VM Maxlife ATF. I'll repeat a couple more times. Drain plug debris was wiped on blue rag.

Wow...blot test doesn't look that bad. One thing I've noticed with the Honda ATF is that it has a smell like no other ATF. Must be the magic juice.....

103K and changing the fluid for the first time?
shocked2.gif
I would be too nervous.

Quote:
One thing I've noticed with the Honda ATF is that it has a smell like no other ATF. Must be the magic juice.....

Yup, I love the smell. I've used other ATF's like Dex/Merc and they smell so [censored] bad. Castrol Import ATF smells like fish, Valvoline MaxLife ATF smells like [censored].

I used those on Nissan cars. For Honda I only use Honda fluids.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
shocked2.gif
I would be too nervous.

Quote:
One thing I've noticed with the Honda ATF is that it has a smell like no other ATF. Must be the magic juice.....

Yup, I love the smell. I've used other ATF's like Dex/Merc and they smell so [censored] bad. Castrol Import ATF smells like fish, Valvoline MaxLife ATF smells like [censored].

Got some Maxlife on my favorite hat last time I serviced the transmission on the Impala. I got the stain out but the smell seemingly won't every go away.
frown.gif

my automatic accord trans went over 500k miles..... and honda AT's have a rep for being the weak link. i always did a drain/refill every 30k. i recommend not letting it go 100k again if you plan on keeping it

I love how easy the trans fluid change is on an 8th gen Civic! I always do a drain and fill, drive a few miles, and then do another drain and fill, since each time you drain it only 50% of the old fluid will come out. But if you do the double drain and fill about every 30-50k that should be good enough. I always use the OEM fluid from the Honda dealer.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
shocked2.gif
I would be too nervous.

Quote:

Got some Maxlife on my favorite hat last time I serviced the transmission on the Impala. I got the stain out but the smell seemingly won't every go away.
frown.gif

sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
I love how easy the trans fluid change is on an 8th gen Civic! I always do a drain and fill, drive a few miles, and then do another drain and fill, since each time you drain it only 50% of the old fluid will come out. But if you do the double drain and fill about every 30-50k that should be good enough. I always use the OEM fluid from the Honda dealer.

Yup, you don't have to go search for a socket either since the plug is just a 3/8 drive. The one thing I think would have made it even better is if the drain plug were right on the bottom facing down.

Should be fine. My friend's mom has a 2006 Civic with 220k+ on it. It had one drain and fill at the dealer when it had 150k miles, and she wanted me to change it at 200k. I did 3 drain and fills until the fluid came out pink (using only Honda fluid) and the transmission has shifted perfect since.

Our old 95 Accord became a gift to a friend. He totaled it with almost 300K; it was running fine.
Trans saw lotsa Honda fluid , some regular Dextron and lotsa MaxLife.
Never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back