E4OD fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't get it, I've used NAPA Dexron/ Mercon, and now there is a different fluid Mercon V ? I think the old stuff is still available, and I think dexron was even on the stick. Just curious if someone has an old E4OD and what they know about it.

Mercon V is not recommended for transfer cases with friction clutches. It breaks down the friction lining. I wouldn’t use it in anything, especially a transmission with all the friction material, it wasn’t originally spec’d for. Perhaps maxlife is a better choice here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gKtqkuhmU

Last edited:
There is a retired Ford transmission engineer who hangs out at the Ford-Trucks forum site. He says that Mercon V is backwards compatible with Mercon and is suitable for E4OD transmissions. That is from the horse’s mouth.

Call Ford. Depending on the year they said Mercon V was OK as a replacement for Mercon and some earlier years I think they said to stay with Mercon.

Mercon V has been around for about 20 years now. It supersedes regular Mercon and you can use it. You can still get regular Mercon however if that's what you want to use. And I guarantee the dipstick does not say Dexron, as Dexron is a registered trademark of GM. Mercon is a registered trademark of Ford. The dipstick will say to use regular Mercon. The bottles of regular Mercon fluid will say "Dexron III/Mercon" as GM's Dexron III is the same thing as Ford's Mercon.

Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
So I don't get it, I've used NAPA Dexron/ Mercon, and now there is a different fluid Mercon V ? I think the old stuff is still available, and I think dexron was even on the stick. Just curious if someone has an old E4OD and what they know about it.

Dexron is a GM fluid. You will not find it on a Ford stick. Mercon V is OK for E4OD’s. If you are doing heavy towing it’s a good idea to get an auxilliary trans fluid cooler.

I've had lots of (mostly BAD) experience with towing/hauling heavy in older E4ODs-use a FULL SYNTHETIC Mercon, use a big external auxiliary cooler, and avoid towing in O/D! The fluid flow on these is poor in overdrive, and it WILL cook the conventional ATF and the transmission. We ran these in a fleet of E-250 vans & a couple of E-350 box trucks in the mid-late '90s, EVERY SINGLE E4OD needed rebuilt in them, sometimes more than once! If you use semi-syn Mercon or Mercon V, I would recommend a deep pan with a temperature gauge, and an eagle eye on it when towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back