Nissan DLR put 0w20 in car that specs 5w30. worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No good deed goes unpunished. My father has been driving 30mins to his mechanic (used to live closer) and waiting for an oil change. Its a little independent shop with a good rep so its ALWAYS busy and has a wait.
So I made the suggestion "Hey why not just go to Nissan up the street? They advertise a cheap oil change."
Well I checked out the slip today and they "up sold" him to full synthetic and used 0w20. On top of that I see they charged for 1 to many quarts. I checked the car and it is indeed over filled. This little 2017 Versa only takes 3.4qrts.

What is bugging me is that they put in 0w20 when the book calls for 5w30 with 10w30 allowed if no 5w30 is available. Is this something I should bring up and get resolved or should I just let it go? I already suggested that he skips the dealer next time and just bring it back to his guy or I will change it.

I would not worry about it at all. You father does not likely drive like Mario Andretti. It will be fine.

The dealership, of all places, should use the proper oil in a 1-year-old car. I would request they correct their mistake.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I would not worry about it at all. You father does not likely drive like Mario Andretti. It will be fine.

Agree. It will run just fine.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I would have them change the oil with the correct grade

Actually I wouldn't want these jokers touching the car again even for free. Wrong oil. Wrong amount. And they spilled oil all over near the filler. To sloppy to do the job right the 1st time so I don't trust them to do it right the 2nd time.

Really my only concern at this point is the 0w20 vs 5w30 thing. After seeing Nissan specs 0w20 for the 2018 versa with the same engine I am really starting to agree with the 2 above posters that it will be "ok" to let go for an 3K OCI.

Last edited:
Guess what??
Nissan now has 0w20 specd for the generation of VQ motors after mine. If I had a newer VQ motor... I would not be concerned about it if it had happened to where 5w30 was put in it instead of the specd 0w20 in my 2017 Nissan Altima VQ.

Last edited:
Dump the oil and do it yourself. How much is it over filled .6 of a quart or a full quart ? Come to think of it either amount in my opinion is way too much . Personally I'd rather be under from the full mark than over . Also think with it being summer time I'd much prefer to have the 5w30 in the sump . Good luck.

Let it go, it will be OK if you are not racing or doing heavy towing.

Maybe change it a bit early, say 3 - 4k miles, and don't go back there again.

I'd take it back and make sure they put the right oil in it. You paid for the mfg. spec'd oil, let them put it in. Or better yet, ask for a refund and do it yourself. I wouldn't want a PO'ed dealership oil changer working on my car after bringing it back and complaining.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Dump the oil and do it yourself. How much is it over filled .6 of a quart or a full quart ? Come to think of it either amount in my opinion is way too much . Personally I'd rather be under from the full mark than over . Also think with it being summer time I'd much prefer to have the 5w30 in the sump . Good luck.

Ya they put 4qrts in.

It's fine Nissan made this change sometime late 2017 and is now factory fill 2018 on.

They made no engine changes so it was their decision probably for maximum fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me would be the increase in cost for the oil change.

It won't hurt the car but I'd use a 5w30 for my wallet

That is NOT good.
It should be corrected immediately.
0w-20 is WAY too thin for a car that can useS 10w-30 in the summer.
You should NEVER go thinner than factory oil recommendations.
PERIOD

Also I wouldn't worry about being .6 of a qt over the filter media will soak that up and rest will get used by consumption

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Also I wouldn't worry about being .6 of a qt over the filter media will soak that up and rest will get used by consumption

33.gif
hey buddy, nice "advice" you have there.

In case you didn't know (based on your idiotic comment) the oil filter has already "soaked up" all the oil it can handle and guess what? It's still 0.6qt OVER FILLED.

Waiting for what is basically a new engine made in 2017 to "consume" 0.6qts of oil is moronic. Not only is it probably NOT burning A DROP of oil at this point in its life, even if it does, you're still recommending the owner to drive around for THOUSANDS of miles with TOO MUCH OIL in the crankcase. I applaud your recommendation.
33.gif
31.gif
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I would have them change the oil with the correct grade

Actually I wouldn't want these jokers touching the car again even for free. Wrong oil. Wrong amount. And they spilled oil all over near the filler. To sloppy to do the job right the 1st time so I don't trust them to do it right the 2nd time.

Really my only concern at this point is the 0w20 vs 5w30 thing. After seeing Nissan specs 0w20 for the 2018 versa with the same engine I am really starting to agree with the 2 above posters that it will be "ok" to let go for an 3K OCI.

Im going to have to agree with @ Bryanccfshr on this one. I would go back to the dealer, express your displeasure and unhappiness / concern of the work that the idiot 17 year old high school drop out performed on your vehicle and insist that their best and most experienced and actually QUALIFIED mechanic REDO the entire oil change, filter and all TO THE CORRECT spec that your vehicle requires. It doesn't matter if the 2018 model with the same engine now recommends 0w5. Nissan recommends 5w30 for your 2017 model, especially since it's still under warranty.
33.gif

Tell the dealership to have the owner sign and notorize a document in writing that he will cover your engine replacement if something goes wrong due to their "certified mechanic" using TOO THIN oil in your engine.
crackmeup2.gif

Just because we at BITOG know that the engine will probably be fine in this case, it still doesn't allow these idiots to be pouring in the wrong spec oil into people's cars.
33.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back