does your COMCAST modem have weak wifi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
we had that problem since first part of the year. seemed to start with the newer style modem comcast uses.
one tech said we needed a wifi extender.

we put up with it for months.
another rep then told us that comcast has a "bad batch" of modems, but they had recalled all of them and even broken the coax connection so no one could use them.

guess what, we still had the bad modem.

got a new one
problem solved.

Comcast modems are always a problem get rid of it. I recently upgraded one coworker to an asus ac 1700. He live in an older unincorporated area and swore that his "lines" outside were bad... he could not believe the difference, he could actually stream programs where he was unable to do so before.

Another coworker following the first coworkers and my advice upgraded to an asus ac1900 and a netgear cm500 modem. His speeds have also improved and he nolonger has to pay the 12.00/ month rental on xfinity junk hardware.

My internet provider has the opposite approach. I bought a new 300 mbps capable wifi router and could only get 65 out of it. The speed I pay for is 200 mbps. Time Warner/Spectrum. Their response to my slow speed was to use their wifi router.

Comcast is rolling out wifi extenders for the XB6 wireless gateway. They plug into an outlet and should be no additional charge.

The other option is to ditch the monthly rental fee (unless you have voice service) and head to snbforums.com and read up on setting up your own network.

You can easily install "wifi analyzer" on your phone or android device to check signal levels, interference, and create bench marks for future reference.
Most wifi issues are due to interference since most people still use 2.4 ghz channels which are way to crowded.
Using modems and devices on 5.8 ghz instead is wise these days.

I have the Comcast TG862G-CT , the only one at the time with the phone service, and it had horrible Wi-Fi. I ended up getting an external router, TP-Link AC1200, and putting the residential gateway into bridge mode to use the external router's Wi-Fi. Works great.

Is that a modem you rent from Comcast for $10 per month? If so, get rid of it and buy your own and save yourself hundreds of dollars a year. I bought my own Motorola modem for about $60. Paid for itself in 6 months, and I've had it for about 3 years now. It's saved me $300 so far.

It looks like some people talk about MODEM and some talk about ROUTER.

Both are 2 separate devices and they have to work together so one does not create a bottleneck.
There are devices that combines both functions which can be problematic also because one function can be weaker.

At any rate, general rule of thumb is the device needs to have at least 2x (twice) the capability that is required.
Then, there is different Wifi band or range (B/G/N/AC) that make things complicated.
A lot of modem, they combined those different band capability to make up their numbers like AC1700, AC2300.

FWIW, I have Spectrum which used to be Comcast, here.
I bought my own MODEM and ROUTER.
The provided MODEM was lousy and overheated all the time.
I got the Motorola/Arris modem and I hook up a fan to reduce the heat.
The heat will reduce the speed capability substantially, at least that is my experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back