1996 Ford Ranger No Brake Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 1996 Ford Ranger V6 3.0L, and I'm having problems with a brake light. The driver's side brake light isn't responding when I push the brake pedal. The running light comes on when I turn the lights on, but the light doesn't brighten at all when I push the pedal. Passenger side brake lights work perfectly. I've already replaced all lights and fuses. I've tried wiggling the light switch and the turn signal switch with the pedal depressed but nothing changed. If it helps to know, my back-up lights do not come on at all and those lights and fuses have been replaced as well. Any ideas?

There's a wiring harness connector right above and to the left of the rear license plate.

Do your electrical troubleshooting at that location.

Back in the 70s, I had a Checy P/U that had something similar going on to one side of the rear lights. Some really strange things would happen. Low flickering, no light at all, and not all the time. After getting tired of it I dedicated some time to find out what was going on. I found that due to rust underneath the rear portion of the truck, my ground was weak. I made a strap from some battery cable I had laying around, put some connectors on the ends and bridged over the rust. Lights worked like new from then on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Do the 4 way flashers work? Could be something there.

Yes if the same bulbs are used for the brakes and rear turn signals, the problem could be in the blinker switch. Testing the turn signals and hazards could show that the bulb and the wiring to the back of the truck is good.

Last edited:
This is a very simple circuit!
*If you have a Trailer Light Adapter Module.......Remove/Bypass it first!
*Remove the left light lens & test the Light Green wire for 12vdc with the brake pedal depressed.
*If you have power right at the back of the socket....The bulb socket is most likely faulty. Assuming the bulb is good.

As Trav said.....A Power Probe is the perfect tool for this kind of work!

oJ7KAPO.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back