Cherry vs orange hand cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Recently I was in HF to buy a tube of SuperLube, and noted what looked to me like counterfeit Goop Orange hand cleaner on the shelf. I looked into it a bit and found that it was legit, and pumice free. I actually bought some to try.

And I REALLY like it.

Ive had Gojo and similar orange pumice cleaners at my basement sink for years. They work well. But Ive found, doing some diesel engine work recently (which really stains your skin), that the non-pumice stuff works as well if not better!!

So, then at Napa, I saw Cherry hand cleaner. Mac's brand, which I think Gojo also makes.

Is there a difference? What do you prefer?

Is "cherry" just a flavor, while the orang stuff is "superior" due to having citrus cleaner in it, which has been all the rage?

Anyone know the differences and details?

Mainly just the flavor, I like cherry. Some of the smooth hand cleaners do seem to bread grease and grime down better, just have to give them a little time to work.

I use fast orange, it cleans well but really dries out my hands. The skin cracks around my nails if i use it several times through a weekend.

Stoko Kresto Cherry is very good, for pumice (in this case, walnut shells) cleaner.

Joe's hand cleaner is good for smooth (better than Fast Orange, IMO). Bubble gum smell, I dunno.

We used to use nothing but gojo cherry ar work.. i really dont like the smell of it anymore, lol. Zep makes a lot of good products. I always liked their grip hand cleaner.
For me, the best thing for your hands is nitrile gloves. I have used a lot of brands im currently using a product called black lighning. It is similar to the orange lightning but a few mils thicker.

I used to use any brand pumice style stuff to clean my hands at my old job, it did ok. I've gotten to the point where my hands just can't do the pumice types, especially in the winter. At home I've found the original Gojo that is just a smooth paste works the best (and easiest on my hands...) and I can pick it up for $3 a plastic tub at the local parts house. At the plant they have Gojo Multi-Green for us at the maintenance shop that works real well, no complaints and easy on the hands.

Last edited:
I can't take the GoJo orange as it dries out my hands so bad. Use to use the Cherry Zep at work and it was great. I use Dawn dish soap at home now.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Recently I was in HF to buy a tube of SuperLube...

Am I the only one a bit surprised? Sorry, that was the first thing I noticed...

Me, I just use nitrile gloves by the box, and Dawn soap when done. Seems to do the trick.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Recently I was in HF to buy a tube of SuperLube...

Am I the only one a bit surprised? Sorry, that was the first thing I noticed...

Me, I just use nitrile gloves by the box, and Dawn soap when done. Seems to do the trick.

Why? Is Superlube from there counterfeit or duplicates made by lowest bidder third world manufacturers when the products could be made here?

Oh wait, Superlube is made here, is readily available at HF for a good
Price, plus 20% off, and a free tarp.

Fundamental difference in the reason I dislike most HF products, and your surprise.
wink.gif

WRT nitrile gloves, yeah, me too, but the issue is that they work great when starting out. Then they rip, I take the dirty ones off to go inside and get something, and once hands are sweaty, they just don't go on again. Maybe I should double bag and use baby powder?

Just didn't take you to be the type to shop HF. Buying anything there props up their business model.

Just take the box with you on the job. Tear one, toss it off (bring a trash can with you). Maybe some rags to dry off the hands if sweat is a problem. Although if you are tearing frequently enough then I'd switch to mechanics gloves for a bit. Save the nitrile for around oil and anything dirty, gloves for areas where cuts may be a problem.

Gojo makes a full line of good stuff. Back in high school days, the gritty strong smelling Fast Orange was the stuff while slimy Gojo was no treat. Now, Gojo foam, gojo in a tub, a packet or even a wipe to clean the steering wheel and your hands. I even have a Gojo lotion that is supposed to be applied before work, but I always forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back