2016 Mini Moke rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented this in Turks & Caicos a few weeks ago. Wasn't really a vaca and I wasn't going to be driving much, so I figured I'd have some fun.

This is a tropical runabout based on the Mini platform; essentially a Mini nose and floorpan with two large structural channels (sponsons?) or rocker boxes housing the battery and fuel(!...have to love fuel under your elbow). The engine is a small I4 DOHC something, with a pretty slick automatic that blipped downshifts.

What a crude, awful 'car'.... Bad rust in the seams already, rattled and clunked, and had an overall amateurish build quality about it. Fiberglass shell seats were only adjustable fore and aft and had a weird angle that, for an average sized person, made either the pedals or wheel comfortable but not both. I was impressed by how the manufacturer managed to make a 1.5 yr old vehicle smell and feel just like a ~40 year old British car.

In short...awful by any reasonable measure....so now how do I justify getting one
grin.gif

Any idea of the weight ?

I had a few mates who had an original Moke which they use to take bush. It never got stuck, as any problem, they would jump out, grab a corner, and carry it over the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back