Why buy low mileage tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always purchased tires with high mileage warranties. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred years ago with 80 or 90k warranty, Michelin with same, Firestone with same. With rotation every 7-10k all lasted that long or longer and price per mile was minimal. Aside from knowing you're going to dump a car soon or other unique circumstances, why buy a low mileage tire?

A tire that lasts 90k isn't a tire; it's a piece of plastic. The lower mileage tires handle better or otherwise have some redeeming quality that offsets the shorter tread life. Some people use dedicated winter tires during the winter, so those are miles not used on the primary tires.

Also, tires crack, dry rot, and otherwise expire after a certain amount of time, regardless of mileage. Most tire companies say 6-10 years. So, if you don't even drive that many miles in those 6-10 years, you don't need a high mileage tire.

There are probably many other reasons
smile.gif

Those reasons qualify as "other unique circumstances." If you put 12k+/ year on tires and don't have a sports car, rock crawler, or something of the sort, why a 40-50k tire?

Plastic? Not sure my high mileage tires rode like plastic...

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Those reasons qualify as "other unique circumstances." If you put 12k+/ year on tires and don't have a sports car, rock crawler, or something of the sort, why a 40-50k tire?

Because something that's not a sports car can feel almost like one with a high performance tire. Like my 2003 Civic SiR with Toyo Proxes T1R.

I have bought high mileage tires like Hankook 727s and had to replace them @ 40K because of uneven wear caused by alignment issues caused by the terrible roads in NY. Don't let Gov. Cuomo's commercials (NY is open for business) fool you...our roads and infrastructure suck because too much money is wasted....In other words, I would have been better off buying a cheaper 40K tire because the poorly maintained roads are gonna get them anyway...

What's wrong with high mileage tires?!
They are great for drifting in the rain, or snow!
19.gif

It demonstrates a skilled drivers' abilities when the weather turns sour.
And if you lack those skills, well then I guess you weren't meant to be driving!
thumbsup2.gif

How long do you run tires? How far down do you run them? You don't list your location, do you get snow or heavy rain? For tires to go 80-90K miles they have to be hard to begin with so they start out with decreased traction compared to a softer tire and they're only going to get harder and have less traction as they age and wear down. You'll never notice the lack of traction until you're hydroplaning or sliding off the snowy road or need to make that split second emergency maneuver.

The RAV will need tires this fall, I'm looking at rating on Tire Rack, wet/dry traction and comfort(noise) are most important, treadwear is whatever it is. Getting 80K at the wear bars just isn't a consideration for me.These Vredseteins look great, top ratings and only 45k treadwear warranty. Quatrac 5

I buy tires every 9 months.Yokohama AVID Ascend. I get 85-90k out of set.On second set already.Changed factory at 10k.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+Ascend+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29
Honda gives me free balance,nitrogen and will replace it if anything happens anywhere on tire. They keep spares just for me in the parts department.

I've always purchased tires
why buy a low mileage tire?

I usually buy lrr tires or used / clearance tires, the longest I’ve had a tire last was a $35 set of Desert dogs, that lasted 10 years on my suburban, sidewalls started to go then replaced.

The OEMLRR tires on my Volt usually last about 25k for most people, I have 60,000 miles on them, fronts need replacement, rears have another 20k in them.

I rather have more efficient tires or real cheap tires (or both) since they seem to last plenty long enough given the way I drive.

Some of us swap out tires on age instead of mileage. I can have >50% treat on a standard tire, at 50-60k and 10
Years. Why would I need anything else unless it provides added copelling benefit?

Thread wear is dead last on the priority list when I buy tires.

With tires, performance in wet, snow and handling in general are safety related and I try not to compromise there.

I had a pair of Michelin with 95k on them with tread depth still safe. Place said I could get about 10-20k more. I replaced them because of age.

I've lived in the upper Midwest and never run a snow tire. I now live in the PNW and never run a snow tire. Everyone out here seems to run studs in the winter. I laugh. All seasons over the passes with no issues. When it's cruddy you just crawl along anyway. Or throw chains/cables on.

So Michelin Defenders aren't good in rain or snow? Top of the line Goodyear's? C'mon now! Michelin always rates high in snow and ice traction.

I had a Civic Si and went from the high speed rating factory tire to a lower higher mileage. Handling was worse. But it was a daily driver, not a track car. If you track a car then that's one of those odd situations.

Last edited:
Those reasons qualify as "other unique circumstances." If you put 12k+/ year on tires

None of our vehicles do anywhere close to 12k miles a year. From my POV, it's your circumstances that are unique.
smile.gif

Maybe, but the average car does 12... So maybe not. 😀

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Those reasons qualify as "other unique circumstances." If you put 12k+/ year on tires

None of our vehicles do anywhere close to 12k miles a year. From my POV, it's your circumstances that are unique.
smile.gif

Are the Cooper CS5 Grand Tourings I covet plastic or OK to drive on?

Previous poster let the cat out of the bag....New York State is the only one with crumby roads.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Thread wear is dead last on the priority list when I buy tires.

With tires, performance in wet, snow and handling in general are safety related and I try not to compromise there.

My priorities vary depending on the vehicle. My 2er and 3er get tires that maximize dry and wet handling and braking. The Clubman's tires aren't as performance oriented but they do have decent winter capability. On the Wrangler I prioritize A/T performance.
In any event I'm happy if I get 30k miles out of UHP tires and 50k miles from any other tires.

As for tires that last 80k-90k miles? I'd pay a considerable sum to avoid having to run them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back