Air shocks or Timbren for trailer towing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 135,000 miles and the 3.3 liter V6. I bought a larger travel trailer with a heavier tongue weight. The back end of the Caravan sags pretty low when towing. Based on my reading, I can fix this with air shocks or something called a Timbren suspension unit. The Timbren is a stack of rubber discs running between frame and axle. The discs are supposed to compress easily at first then give higher resistance with heavier loading. I like the apparent simplicity of the Timbren units.

Has anyone used Timbren units? If so, how did they work for you?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a set if Timbren helper springs on my Dakota. In my case, they replace the bump stops. The kit came with a plate that u-bolts around axle, but I did not use them because of possible interference with sway bar. I have towed 3 horses with no problems with rear end squat. Empty, the ride is a little stiffer over bigger bumps but I like that.

The rear end has a height sensing brake valve.If you fake it out by boosting the rear end you will lose rear brake application with all the extra weight being towed.I would add those "Dukes of Hazzard" style leaf spring helpers "Hellwig" brand (they were Superior brand back in the Dukes days).The rear will still sag a bit,but not as much.

I'm sorry. But this question begs to be asked-

How heavy and how long is the "larger trailer" and what is the tongue weight?

I got a feeling why this info wasn't initially supplied. But I have to be careful because the last thread caused a "forced vacation" for me with a similar topic.......

I'm just going to go out there and say, if you are towing anymore than a popup or a casita, it's too much for a minivan.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm just going to go out there and say, if you are towing anymore than a popup or a casita, it's too much for a minivan.

Your so mush more eloquent than I am.......
smirk.gif

Sorry for not including trailer specs. The trailer is a fiberglass Aframe weighing 1887 pounds. Tongue weight is about 280 pounds. I got this figure by placing the trailer hitch on a bathroom scale.

The hitch is rated for 3500 pounds so no problem there. The towing capacity of the standard Caravan is 1800 pounds, so, I am slightly overweight. The good news is I have a trans cooler and change trans fluid and filter almost obsessively. The Aframe trailer has electric brakes so I do not stress my Caravan brakes.

I am just looking to reduce the rear end sag when towing.

The thing with Timbrens is they only engage after an inch or two of sag and then to fully come into effect they have to compress even more. However, once the axle is resting on them they give a nice stable ride with little sway. I do have some on my Tacoma. Air bags are kind of a hassle checking the pressure and such. I’d put on some helper springs like someone else said. Hellwigs

Thanks to everyone who posted. I looked up the Hellwig helper springs and they look good. I will try a 500 pound set and see if that helps. 60 dollars and free shipping sounds like a deal.

I like the idea of the helper springs, as those vans are a little softly sprung in the back to begin with. I towed with a 2002 and it was a surprisingly good tow vehicle. It was much more stable than the 5000lb rated pathfinder we also had. I assume you tow with OD locked out to save the trans? We had a 2500lb camper and didn't even add an aux cooler - it did fine driven reasonably. Only drawback with the springs is that the shocks may be too soft, requiring a stiffer shock rate to match the stiffer springs.

if you could find one small enough, a weight distributing hitch would also be something to consider to rotate some of the weight to the front wheels and off of the rear. I'd probably look at that first.

you must have the back of the van loaded?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back