Which coil for a 2002 Focus Zetec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Motorcraft DG-536 is made in China now

Almost every coil made for this car is now made in China, with a few exceptions:
NGK 49078 is made in Mexico
Standard Motor Products makes two coils, both made in Poland
The FD497 is standard's standard coil
The FD497T is their cheap T-series coil, also Polish

However, I found a NOS Standard brand coil made in the US, and I am considering this one the most, even though NGK makes great products, and Motorcraft is of course OEM.

I hate that this car only has one coil, so you can't swap coils to see if one is bad.
mad.gif

Fuel injector failure is rare, and coil failure is very common on these cars. The car has NGK Laser Platinum spark plugs and NGK wires that are about a year old

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Motorcraft DG-536 is made in China now

Almost every coil made for this car is now made in China, with a few exceptions:
NGK 49078 is made in Mexico
Standard Motor Products makes two coils, both made in Poland
The FD497 is standard's standard coil
The FD497T is their cheap T-series coil, also Polish

However, I found a NOS Standard brand coil made in the US, and I am considering this one the most, even though NGK makes great products, and Motorcraft is of course OEM.

I hate that this car only has one coil, so you can't swap coils to see if one is bad.
mad.gif

Fuel injector failure is rare, and coil failure is very common on these cars. The car has NGK Laser Platinum spark plugs and NGK wires that are about a year old

I feel you on the coil. Just replaced the one on the Ranger. I was in a pinch and bought a cheap one from O Reilly’s. Works so far

I just put a NOS Standard Motor Parts FD501 on my 2002 Ranger. Working well. Box says made in United States.

The NOS Standard is probably a reboxed OEM Motorcraft coil, back when they still made them here.

It was $20, so not a bad price. But if the American NOS coil wasn't available, I would've gotten the NGK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back