Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my last 2 gallons from O’Reilly and they price matched the T6 5w40 from Wal Mart so I got it for $21.40 per gallon. I

There is only 3 ppm moly. I can't see how thats enough to do anything useful. Moly dosing (FM) experiments show not much happening until you get to about 40 ppm, with a flattening of effects after around 80 ppm, if I remember correctly. ... 3 ppm is way below typical for an oil that tries to use moly for FM.
Anybody know why its there?

Phosphorus levels are at the max allowed for a 5w30 SN oil, so no surprise there, and typical

It does look like it would do fine for avoiding LSPI since it has low calcium and zero sodium. Not tested to it, but probably OK.

Alkaryl amine probably refers to Diphenyl Amine. It's a very common antioxidant used in engine oils.-- SonofJoe quote from an old post

So its a PurePlus base oil (Fischer-Tropsch), no PAO or POE. That should be quality enough though.

The alkyl borate part: Wondering if its really alkyl radicals attached to borate esters???
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ls.3010140404

The "alkoxylated alcohol" I've never seen on an MSDS like that. Does that increase the oil's ability to hold some water (emulsify) in solution?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pajero
I've been itching to try some! Heard good stuff about Rotella.

I've been happy with it, but I generally don't get dissatisfied by oils unless I try something really foolish. It's quiet and smooth as the previous 5w-40 Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 fill, with slightly (but noticeably) better unaided starts when we hit the horrible cold this winter. There's been no noticeable consumption, either, just like the Delvac and the PYB before it. I won't be able to notice any fuel economy difference, since it would easily be lost in the noise. I couldn't determine fuel economy difference between 5w-30 ILSAC and 5w-40 CJ-4, so switching from one HDEO to another isn't going to be measurable by me, either.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
no PAO or POE

POE will not show up on a SDS. It's very likely that many of the oils popular on this site have a small amount of POE for seal and additive compatibility (rather than using Group I or II).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
no PAO or POE
POE will not show up on a SDS.
It's very likely that many of the oils popular on this site have a small amount of POE for seal and additive compatibility (rather than using Group I or II).

Notice above, for this Rotella Multi-Vehicle, the GroupIII was a high percentage of the mix, hence taking up all or almost all the room for a base oil, since the DI package is around 20-25% or so. I'm not so sure POE is as common as you think. There are other ways to balance out the qualities of a GroupIII, GroupIII+PAO, or a semi-synthetic. Small amounts of polymer esters, not POE, is suspected in some formulas like Castrol Magnatec.

I saw POE recently on a Valvoline Premium Blue Restore MSDS:
It does have a lot of ester (POE) in it, which does give it great solvency properties (MSDS):

So, since I'm still super new at this, is this going to be a good oil to use in an '05 Subaru WRX STI? I've been using T6 5w-40 this whole time, but I'm concerned with the loss of the SN rating.

On sale @NAPA 20.99
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Ya know what's funny?

We've seen Lexus/Toyota UOA samples on here with iron that low.... and this is new oil

I have mentioned many times in other threads that the Iron and Aluminum levels are a result of the chemistry components that comprise the Metal Inhibitors, so no worry. Apparently Blackstone hasn't got the message.

Originally Posted by 08z06
On sale @NAPA 20.99
smile.gif

Nice. I'd suggest make a thread in the Promotions and Rebates section. There are always people here looking there for a good deal!

This oil is 60-80% GTL base stock.

No HTHS is given, however, with a KV100 of 12.1, I'd put money on it being 3.5 and no higher.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Ya know what's funny?

We've seen Lexus/Toyota UOA samples on here with iron that low.... and this is new oil

Ha! But that's exactly where the iron comes from in those samples... from the virgin oil! The block itself sheds no such metal.
lol.gif

Ok, ive been thinking about trying this oil. How does it compare to say Mobil 5w 30 I the current d1g2 cert. I don't see the t6 multi vehicle having the d1g2 cert but I was curious as how it compares. Also what is the cold flow numbers comparison to Mobil 5w 30 Ep which is what I'm currently using.

I answered about the cold in the other thread. It'll do fine; it just won't beat an ILSAC lube of the same SAE grade in cold cranking numbers. That's the way elevated HTHS lubes tend to go. As for dexos1, it simply can't meet it because of the HTHS. I'd think it would be fine, but Shell really has no incentive to push this as a dexos1 alternative, given they sell actual dexos1 licensed products.

I suspect that in an ideal world where this is being used in mixed fleet operations, you'd see it happen to wind up in dexos1 specifying trucks.
wink.gif

Yea I seen that, but I guess I was wanting to compare the cold crank ans flow numbers. What other oil does shell offer that is d1g2 certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back