GDI Engine Wear Test Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ring issue was probably either a defect or related to the detonation occurrence.
I am not knocking
smile.gif
the test, per se, I just think it could have been a little more scientific.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Ford may spec 5w-30 for the 3.5 EB ; mine is on a steady diet of 0w-40. New start sequence for a new EB F150: twist key to start, hit stop/start deactivation button, then put it in sport mode to get all 10 gears in the mix before driving.

I think the 0W-40 is a good idea for where you live. I am running the QSUD 5W-30 D1G2 in our 2.7's this summer, as it is one of the thicker D1G2's. Probably doing the same next year. Ran the PP D1G2 in one over the winter, and M1 AFE 0W-30 in the other. I have a little stockpile of both and will run it over the next two winters. We are thinking of moving to a warmer climate in a couple of years. If we do, they will get the 0W-40.

I think there are some misunderstandings of the intents of the effort and testing. The intents were:
1. To guide the development of engine lubrication wear tests in the next ILSAC and ACEA categories, which will replace the very old technology engines used in many existing engine oil test standards, use a modern, turbocharged GDI engine.
2. Develop a test matrix to operate the engine through a series of in-field operating conditions expected to create wear of the engine components.
3. Discover which engine conditions created wear in which engine components
4. Use the recommended lubricant grade for the engine – SAE 5W-30, and a low viscosity lubricant - SAE 0W-16, to investigate effects of reduced viscosity.

Hopefully it is known that in engine tests, such as Sequence IIIG, that either many or even all viscosity grades have to be used in the same type of engine. When 5W-20 is tested, it does not get tested in a version of the engine designed for 5W-20. That’s strange and far from ideal, but there are some valid reasons for doing it that way.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I think there are some misunderstandings of the intents of the effort and testing. The intents were:
1. To guide the development of engine lubrication wear tests in the next ILSAC and ACEA categories, which will replace the very old technology engines used in many existing engine oil test standards, use a modern, turbocharged GDI engine.
2. Develop a test matrix to operate the engine through a series of in-field operating conditions expected to create wear of the engine components.
3. Discover which engine conditions created wear in which engine components
4. Use the recommended lubricant grade for the engine – SAE 5W-30, and a low viscosity lubricant - SAE 0W-16, to investigate effects of reduced viscosity.

Hopefully it is known that in engine tests, such as Sequence IIIG, that either many or even all viscosity grades have to be used in the same type of engine. When 5W-20 is tested, it does not get tested in a version of the engine designed for 5W-20. That’s strange and far from ideal, but there are some valid reasons for doing it that way.

Good points.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I think the 0W-40 is a good idea for where you live. I am running the QSUD 5W-30 D1G2 in our 2.7's this summer, as it is one of the thicker D1G2's. Probably doing the same next year. Ran the PP D1G2 in one over the winter, and M1 AFE 0W-30 in the other. I have a little stockpile of both and will run it over the next two winters. We are thinking of moving to a warmer climate in a couple of years. If we do, they will get the 0W-40.

The QSUD is on the thicker end for a 5W30 at 100C, 11.6 cSt, and I also notice the CCS viscosity at -30C is quite good at 3800 cP. The MRV viscosity at -35C is well over double the CCS at 12550, which I believe Shannow informed us quite likely indicates that a good dose of pour point depressants was used (meaning the base oils are not inherently low viscosity at very low temps).
Wish we had HTHS and NOACK loss test results for this oil, but the May PDS that can be downloaded from the linked page looks pretty good for what it shows. QSUD used to have very low NOACK loss considering it was a "bargain" oil (i.e. cheaper than PP and M1).
https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/products/motor-oil/quaker-state-ultimate-durability.html

Last edited:
The start-stop feature is one I hope to not own. As someone above mentioned though, it might be inevitable. Some years ago I rented a Nissan Altima hybrid. During that time the morning temps were in the high teens and low twenties. Starting up, the car went on battery for the first few blocks then the engine came on. With no warm up or chance to get the oil up to pressure I wondered what the long term wear would be on that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back