Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made quite the mess on my driveway changing the 6.7 oil. Just installed the Fumoto valve w/ the nipple for a drain hose. Seems handy to avoid the messes. I don't rock crawl so I'm not concerned with knocking it off. Anyone have a problem with them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cedarshark
I made quite the mess on my driveway changing the 6.7 oil. Just installed the Fumoto valve w/ the nipple for a drain hose. Seems handy to avoid the messes. I don't rock crawl so I'm not concerned with knocking it off. Anyone have a problem with them?

Opinion is divided because it a solution for a problem that does not exist unless your oil pan threads are messed up.
You can never get as full a drain as you can with a normal drain plug and it drains much slower than a normal drain plug. You still have to make a mess when you change the filter on a car with a spin-on filter. But again, if you have a canister filter you might as well use an oil extractor and never have to go below the car.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Opinion is divided because it a solution for a problem that does not exist unless your oil pan threads are messed up.
You can never get as full a drain as you can with a normal drain plug and it drains much slower than a normal drain plug. You still have to make a mess when you change the filter on a car with a spin-on filter. But again, if you have a canister filter you might as well use an oil extractor and never have to go below the car.

I think you nailed it. I don't like them.
27.gif
But in certain applications they can be of use.

^^ Above is true ^^

Bad threads is why I installed one on a neighbor's car.
They say "get the oil hot as you can" so it runs as quickly as possible.

Also, the idea of an oil extractor is a good one but not every engine has a straight path to the bottom of the oil pan.
There are baffles and sheet metal in many oil pans. Anything which stops the suction line stops the process.

I have the Fumoto drain valve on my Subaru but not the Ford Powerstroke. The drain plug on the Ford has a nice o-ring to seal.

The Ford Powerstroke is 14 qts, so if it's slow you might wait a long time.

I have a bypass filter on my Ford Powerstroke so I am thinking of changing it at about 17k miles.

I've installed Fumotos on three vehicles: 2007 Infiniti M35, 2007 Honda Ridgeline and 2015 Subaru Outback. I didn't have any problems per se, but on the Honda I expected it to be a direct fit. However, the body of the valve was too wide to thread the valve in, and I had to wait until the next OC and install a Fumoto adapter. I believe the products are good quality but work best if you have a splash shield to protect it, like I have on the M35. That car has a small square that flips down to access the valve without removing the whole splash shield and its 20 bolts. And I use an Ultra filter for 2-3 intervals.

Opinions vary, but they work for me.

Yes, with my G37, too, it's not at the lowest point, plus is protected by the splash shield. As for complaints about not draining completely, with both my Audi and the G37, I've tested and they both drain about as completely either way. I had let them both drain until dripping stopped, then pulled the Fumoto out, and all that happened were a few more drips. Of course, that won't be the case with all oil pans out there, but the geometry of the oil pans on the G37 and the Audi were fine for both safety and draining.

As stated above, get the oil hot. Powerstrokes will drain plenty quickly with hot oil. Also, as far as concerns over draining completely, the Powerstroke's full oil capacity is 18-19 qts. Fill is only 14. Another fraction of a quart not drained is inconsequential.

Last edited:
I bought 6 of them. I sold 6 of them. They stick down too far and drain WAY too slow and don’t completely drain.

OP,

I've used them on different cars over several years with no issues. Common sense will tell you if your application is one where there might be an issue with clearance or an exposed location. In my case, the residual oil isn't any different with or without the valve but that might be different depending on the vehicle. The use of a Fumoto doesn't have to solve a problem or be a solution unless you want it to be. I've used one to solve an issue with a tough, recessed, rear-facing plug and I've used one to make an easy plug location even easier. Sometimes, I think opinions here on their use tend to be "overly opinionated" where reality is concerned.

I'll think about a Fumoto when it saves me the effort of still having to crawl under the car and take that extra 4 seconds to remove the drain plug.

The drain plug on my 6.7 is on the backside of the pan and oil comes out in a horizontal stream...impossible to catch it all in a drain pan. I put the 1/2" hose on the Fumoto, run the hose into a plastic cat litter container w/ a 9/16" hole drilled in the top. While the sump drains, I loosen the oil filter about 1/4 turn then put a 1 gallon zip lock over the filter and unscrew the filter the rest of the way. Not a drop on the driveway. Prob does take a little longer with the valve, so what,I'm retired and gives me the chance to look for other potential issues under the truck.

The drain plug on my 6.7 is on the backside of the pan and oil comes out in a horizontal stream...impossible to catch it all in a drain pan.

Solution

Originally Posted By: beanoil
The drain plug on my 6.7 is on the backside of the pan and oil comes out in a horizontal stream...impossible to catch it all in a drain pan.

Solution

I like that concept but a Fumoto is $31

Every fleet I have ever managed had Fumoto's on everything. Million mile trouble free life, NEVER ever had one get knocked off and, have never had to replace an oil pan because some "kid" at an outside shop decided to use an impact gun to re-install a drain plug (laugh if you will...but I've seen it!). Completely worth the cost...we install at the first oil change on everything. We buy the ones with nipples usually unless space is tight.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I'll think about a Fumoto when it saves me the effort of still having to crawl under the car and take that extra 4 seconds to remove the drain plug.

It's about draining into your container directly, so cleanup is faster, since you're not draining into a pan, then pour contents into another container. Not to mention, the potential splash of hot oil on your hand/wrist when you pull the drain plug out.

I have a 12 volt oil drain system but for some reason does not work well on the 6.7. Not sure if there are baffles in the pan or the dipstick tube is not in the best place for an extraction system. It was difficult to prime the pump and was taking way too long on the 13 qts in that sump.

Can you guys suggest a good "creeper" for getting around under the truck on a concrete floor? I am 6'1" tall and weigh about 220..

I love my drain valve. When the car is hot, I put a pan underneath it, switch the valve open, then go inside to start dinner. When I come back out, I switch the valve off, wipe it a little, pour in new oil, pour the old in the new empty bottle. Its especially nice when you are sick of washing your hands a million times a day (especially in the winter..) and you don't want to buy gloves. I also didn't want to deal with crush washers or cross threading again. I don't take my cars or trucks offroad if they are also frequently on the highway.. which is all of them.. so unless I hit some tall [censored] in the middle of the road, I see very little risk when looking more granularly at the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back