Anyone having to use premium when not called for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2010 Soul 2U with 202,000km on it.

Car is in good shape, and is well-maintained - regular oil changes, plugs were done about a year ago with NGK Iridiums, fuel injector/system cleaner is used 3-4 times per year, lots of high-ish speed highway driving, no CEL's on, always use good-quality gas.

Since I got the car, it has pinged a lot on 87-octane gas, especially when accelerating. In fact it pings so bad that when getting up to highway speed you can feel the car is loosing power from the pinging. Manual only calls for 87 octane gas.

Tried mid-grade, made it a little less noticeable, but still there.

A couple of months ago finally bit the bullet and put premium 91 in. Gas has been expensive, and didn't want to pay the premium, but I get extra Esso points with it, so decided to try it.

Problem solved. Pinging is gone, and car has definitely picked up power and smoothness. Don't like having to put premium in an 'econo' car, but it is working, so i will stick with it.

Anyone else have a car that calls for regular; but kinda HAS to run premium in it to stop pinging?

Are you up in the mountains?
smile.gif

From what I've read, it's a common problem with Hyundai/Kia products. Something about some Hyundai/Kia vehicles want a battery that puts out higher voltage well before a typical auto battery is deemed bad by load testing it. The battery can start the car and test okay, but if the voltage is who knows, 13.1 instead of 13.3 or higher, it can cause the pinging. It doesn't make sense, I know. Some have also stated disconnecting the battery has done the trick. I would disconnect the battery overnight and try that since it's free.
If neither of those fix the problem, I'd take it to the dealer.

Might try a coolant flush, could have a hot spot in there. Also make sure the air intake is 100% functional and drawing from the inner fender or wherever it should be.

Using 89 and occasionally 9[13] in my Prius; it was short tripped for 65K miles and probably is pretty carboned up.

Mixing in some netra 131 to see if that does anything. Done the beryman's etc already.

I’ve been using costco 93 in order to battle fuel dilution in my civic. It helps in jy case

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Anyone else have a car that calls for regular; but kinda HAS to run premium in it to stop pinging?

Not quite the same, but the F-150 used to get 89 octane mid-grade instead of 87 octane regular when Husky/Mohawk used to sell 89 E10 for the same price as 87 E0, before the ethanol mandate existed. I've also run 93 or 94 or whatever Husky/Mohawk's top premium is in the Audi and G37, when 91 will suffice. I often buy E0 premium for the OPE, but, of course, that has nothing to do with preventing pinging.

My Camry pings under pretty much all conditions

It's a thing with the M series V6 I'm told

87/89/91/93

It's best with 91/93

I'm gonna do a tune up soon and send the injectors out to Witch Hunter, see what that changes

To skyactiv's point, the Sonata 2.4L I owned prior to this one pinged on 87. I changed the battery and plugs near the same time since the battery was on its last leg. The pinging stopped. But i have no idea which did the trick... battery or plugs.

Battery IS old on this car, its the original!

Still works perfectly, and I won't be changing it until it needs to, probably this coming winter.

I don't live a a high-altitude area, so that is not it.

Shouldn't have any hot spots in it, but later this summer it will get a new timing belt and water pump, and coolant will be changed then. So far it is fine, gauge never wavers from just below half when running. no loss of coolant.

Will check air filter carefully. It's a couple of years old, but doesn't seem to get that dirty.

For now will just stick with premium fuel.

Haven't had a car ping since I had a Chrysler 2.2 with the carburetor. It pinged in the summer so I ran it on plus once in a while. Only did it under heavy throttle. It was fine in the winter. I think it was the high temperatures in the summer that made it worse.

Yeah i tuned my cruze and now requires 91+ but the added power is way worth it. I also get 32-42 mpg depending how i drive, so premium in no big deal for me. Went from 12 lbs of boost to 22 lbs.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I’ve been using costco 93 in order to battle fuel dilution in my civic. It helps in jy case

Smart move! +1

I have a 92 F250 4x4 with 280K on original untouched EFI 460. When not towing, 87 is fine. We use it to tow an 11K# Fountain boat in the summer. It will ping slightly on 87 when warm, 89 or 91 no pinging.

FWIW my Cadillac had the same ping problem as OP described. 87 pinged, 89 was tolerable, and 91 was good. I tried lots of cleaners with no change (Royal Purple, seafoam, Lucas, marvel, etc). Two tanks ago I used techron and the problem went away...at least for now. I am currently running 87 and haven't heard any pings, but I haven't put enough miles on yet with the 87 to know whether it worked. So far techron has been the best, but in the worst case, I go back to 89 and deal with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back