2002 Silverado Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with 356k miles and want to replace water pump.

Is there a water pump kit or do I need to buy the water pump and gasket(s) separately?

Have never replaced a water pump on a Chevy truck so I would like to know if there are any other parts that I should be replacing while I'm in there.

What do I need to remove before accessing the water pump itself and what are the things that I have to be careful with?

I just replaced both heater core quick coupler hoses today and thought to myself that its a good idea to replace the water pump also.

Not sure about the level of difficulty but in comparison to replacing the intake manifold gasket how would the water pump compare?
The intake manifold gasket wasn't too bad.

Also, which manufacture/brand water pump is good and recommended?

Any advice/instructions is greatly appreciated

I just did it on my 03 avalanche I used the GM OE water pump and thermostat

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-251-743-Original-Equipment-Gaskets/dp/B00496Y4IK/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Avalanche%201500%7C416&Year=2003%7C2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-11057-Original-Equipment-Thermostat/dp/B002VVC4TG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529203076&vehicle=2004-47-416------------5-0&sr=1-3&ymm=2004%3Achevrolet%3Aavalanche+1500&keywords=thermostat&refinements=p_89%3AACDelco

Last edited:
The water pump on 5.3s is simple. The hardest part is removing the fan clutch which is simple with the right tools. Most water pumps will come with new gaskets. You may want to replace the thermostat, my 2003 could have had two different styles of thermostats I don't know if that applies to 2002.

Originally Posted By: AVB
The water pump on 5.3s is simple. The hardest part is removing the fan clutch which is simple with the right tools. Most water pumps will come with new gaskets. You may want to replace the thermostat, my 2003 could have had two different styles of thermostats I don't know if that applies to 2002.

The fan clutch requires you tap the wrench to get it off, pulling won't always get it off. You are right on the themostats, I used the listing for an 04 waterpump and 04 thermostat to make sure they both matched.

Last edited:
There appears to be a water pump seal/O-ring, does that come with the water pump?

There are two gaskets the originals are metal with rubber, aftermarket pumps may come with paper gaskets. The gaskets should come with the pump. They claim the paper gaskets are an improvement, I don't know if that is true or false.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gito
There appears to be a water pump seal/O-ring, does that come with the water pump?

My waterpump came with the block gaskets. The thermostat housing/thermostat came with the o-ring.

Does the serpentine belt need to come off?

Yes and while you are there , change the ac belt as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-K040378HD-Specialty-V-Ribbed-Serpentine/dp/B0010EBQFI/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529204051&vehicle=2003-47-416-434-28-53-6-8-7910-444-4-2-145-88-3-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2003%3Achevrolet%3Aavalanche+1500&keywords=belt

Don't take the belt off until after you get the fan clutch loose. If you forget and take the belt off then put it back on to hold the water pump pulley it will slip when you try to get the fan loose.

Might as well replace the upper and lower radiator hoses
Does AMZN also sell these two hoses?

I see two different serpintine belts for my 02 Silverado 5.3L.
One is for a 105 amp Alternator, the other for a 130 amp Alternator.

Might have the old alternator in my cabinet. Let me check

I see two different serpintine belts for my 02 Silverado 5.3L.
One is for a 105 amp Alternator, the other for a 130 amp Alternator.

Might have the old alternator in my cabinet. Let me check

I have seen that spec but i'm not sure there is a real difference. The belt i used is not a listed belt for my model but works fine.

You can cross ref rock auto to amazon.

The 130 amp is larger it sits up higher on the mounting bolts requiring a longer belt.

Just remember that an a/c delco professional waterpump is not the same as OE. OE is the higher quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back