I had a tooth pulled and had extreme fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a tooth pulled Thursday, it had cracked and was not fixable it was an upper molar next to where my wisdom tooth would be. So I slept a lot since then and generally felt lethargic and yucky. I slept quite a bit today and now feel better. My jaw still hurts and I have just been taking advil on and off.

The tooth was infected, so my thought is maybe I am fighting some infection? No antibiotics were given, I assume the infection was limited to just the tooth, but I don't know.

I am 38. Is this just a case of me getting older and recovery takes longer.

Its frustrating and depressing to me. I am just trying to get some input on others experiences.

Last edited:
I'd call the dentist, and potentially your doctor or urgent care if not satisfied with the response. I'd think you should be on antibiotics and feeling better by now. Do you have a fever?

From my experience, if your teeth are infected they wouldn't have pulled them out until you take some antibiotics (peniscillin in my case) and the infection clears.
Your case you probably just have a sore jaw, But if you get some swelling and it keeps on hurting go and see your Dentist or Dr., infections can come back.
If your tooth was infected they should have put you on antibiotics , if you know this to be true I would go to the EMR and see if they'll give you some.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a Dr. Nor do I pretend to be one online.
lol.gif

Last edited:
They should have prescribed antibiotics! I had #15 molar & #16 wisdom pulled tuesday. My dentist prescribed Clindamycin antibiotics & Hydrocodone pain killers. I only took one pain killer a couple hours after the extraction & haven't taken any type of pain killer since. I'll finish up the antibiotics tomorrow.

I'm a few years older than you & still heal pretty quick, Other than a little soreness it's been smooth sailing!
My teeth have roots that are straight as an arrow & extract very easily, If yours were tough to extract....More pain & soreness will result!

Lets hope you don't have a dry socket!!!!

Best wishes & a speedy recovery . Teeth problems can be tough to deal with .

Try calling your dentist . Maybe he / she has an answering service that can put you in touch with him / her . Get them to call in an Rx .

Wyr
God bless

No fever, just a sore jaw. I put it off for a while because it wasn't hurting, but the time finally came. Im not going to go to the ER or urgent care because with no fever and no other symptoms they wont do anything from what I have seen with previous experiences.

I hate tooth pain, and I hate the post extraction pain.

I tried calling the after hours and never got a call back. I guess I will try again but at this point im just POed about the whole thing.

Only get dental work done early in the week I guess. It ticks me off because I have a job where I am expected to be available at a moments notice when I am oncall, and available to come in 24-7-365 most other times in the event of an emergency or outage.

I get paid a heck of a lot less than a Dr. or Dentist. It has been my experience over the years that its hard to get a callback from either after hours. I truly need a new job. Im just in a foul mood tonight for various reasons.

Part of my exhaustion could very well be from sleep deprivation. Its been a crazy 2018...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Well if you don't go to the ER. Try rinsing your mouth with salt water. It may help.
Hope you feel better soon.

After sleeping alot today, I feel much better aside from the jaw pain, which I understand is to be expected. Hopefully im over the hump.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
So I had a tooth pulled Thursday, it had cracked and was not fixable it was an upper molar next to where my wisdom tooth would be. So I slept a lot since then and generally felt lethargic and yucky. I slept quite a bit today and now feel better. My jaw still hurts and I have just been taking advil on and off.

The tooth was infected, so my thought is maybe I am fighting some infection? No antibiotics were given, I assume the infection was limited to just the tooth, but I don't know.

I am 38. Is this just a case of me getting older and recovery takes longer.

Its frustrating and depressing to me. I am just trying to get some input on others experiences.

I doubt it was infected, if it was, I think it would have been standard practice to administrator antibiotics. Over the years, I had a couple cracked teeth (causality of old fillings in my molars), replaced with implants. never had an issue with a pulled tooth or the symptoms you are describing. You should call your dentist.

Last yankage 2 weeks ago is still tender. Oral surgeon took out a wiggler and 2 stumps. Aleve and low watt oxy/acetaminophen for the first afternoon. Gargling salt water helped to relieve sore throat and gums before hand.I was delighted to get an appnt for first thing next morning. I expected the usual song and dance with an infected tooth. Anti biotics for a few days. Not this time. A full X ray and then they yanked. BTW, Go to an oral surgeon for tooth removal. Much less chair time.

I had the same molar pulled a few years ago. Honestly it was quick, easy, and didn't hurt a bit. He numbed it good, pulled the tooth, put in a couple stitches and sent me on my way. He gave me a prescription for pain meds, but I didn't even need them. Also gave me an antibiotic mouthwash to use to prevent infection. I think the bottle lasted a couple weeks.

As luck would have it, I still have my wisdom teeth. A while after having that molar removed, the wisdom tooth that was behind it grew nearly perfectly into the empty space so I have a tooth there again.

Did they knock you out? I've only been knocked out a few times, nothing in recent history, but the last time I was about 20, had my wisdoms out, and I slept for about 24 hours straight. Apparently I don't do well with whatever they use. More recently I scratched an eye, they gave me some trivial drug, and while I didn't sleep straight through I was pretty much done for next couple of days.

I only got numbed.

I went to the dentist today and she had to smooth out some bone from my jaw that came up after the extraction. My mouth feels alot better now.

I think the exhaustion was from the rough extraction, sleep debt, stress and some depression (first fathersday after my dad passed).

I seemed to feel better starting sunday, and feel much better today.

I will keep taking it easy and heal up some more then its back to work tomorrow, and working around here when I get home. I have done nothing but sleep/relax since Thursday. I needed that I think.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
From my experience, if your teeth are infected they wouldn't have pulled them out until you take some antibiotics (peniscillin penicillin in my case) and the infection clears.
Your case you probably just have a sore jaw, But if you get some swelling and it keeps on hurting go and see your Dentist or Dr., infections can come back.
If your tooth was infected they should have put you on antibiotics , if you know this to be true I would go to the EMR and see if they'll give you some.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a Dr. Nor do I pretend to be one online.
lol.gif

Fixed the typo for you.
crackmeup2.gif

I've had to have a few yanked over the years and I have to say that I never had any real pain or soreness.
Even the extractions themselves were surprisingly painless, albeit with plenty of numbing.
I actually hate a needle in the gums more than anything else involved in dental work.
Sorry for your pain and discomfort and I hope you aren't seeing dry socket for your sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back