What kind of cabin filter do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: repairman54
My '11 Tahoe wasn't built with one. RA had a retro fit kit for it. What a big reduction on interior dust like on the dash, etc. .
I was surprised filter was not OEM on a late model expensive vehicle, my old '00 Sable and up had them.

Why the heck would GM do that?

Matagonka said, "Why the heck would GM do that?"

To save the cost of making an additional mold for the plastic parts necessary. The next revision of that model likely had a CAF.

My friend's '97 F-150 has clearly designated panels to remove in order to install a CAF. RockAuto even sells the kit.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Originally Posted By: repairman54
My '11 Tahoe wasn't built with one. RA had a retro fit kit for it. What a big reduction on interior dust like on the dash, etc. .
I was surprised filter was not OEM on a late model expensive vehicle, my old '00 Sable and up had them.

Why the heck would GM do that?

I heard, which could be false info or course, was that hardly anyone ever checked/changed them? I also heard that is why most vehicles nowadays don't have grease fittings.
21.gif

I get the reasonably priced ones on Amazon. I buy enough at a time to get them shipped for free. But, most importantly, I replace them myself so I don't get totally ripped off by a dealer on the replacement labor!

I purchase cabin air filters for my truck from Rockauto, Ultra Power brand with a Wix part number. I buy cabin air filters for my wife's car at AAP (CQ brand) now because I can get them cheaper there with discount codes than from RA with shipping; I previously purchased ATP brand & STP brand from RA.

I stick with particulate only removal, no activated carbon or baking soda.

All are $5 or less list price.

All are made in China that I've purchased regardless of brand.

Last edited:
The first time I changed one myself I used a WIX 24815 that I ordered from O'Reilly Auto Parts online. I'll probably use a FRAM CF10134 next time because it costs less than the WIX and is available locally.

I usually try to get the carbon-impregnated ones. Usually Mahle off Amazon, which is believe is made by Freudenberg.

have had luck with puro in the past. Just put an STP in my 2010 Honda CRV had to trim it up way to much for my liking will look into maybe a fram next time.

While I'm usually a Wix fan, I went with Microgards from O"Reilly. After looking at them in the store, I couldn't justify paying an extra $10 for the Wix. Also, in my younger days, I didn't even know what a cabin air filter was. When I change the one on my car after 100,000 miles, it wasn't in bad condition at all.

Originally Posted By: nike360baller
I got good "zoom zoom" aka better throttle response from using WIX and this was in a Honda Accord of yester-year.

You really don't even read the threads you post to, do you
lol.gif

That or I'm really missing how one gets good "zoom zoom" from a cabin air filter
confused2.gif

My most recent swap was a Bosch filter, I've used in the past: Wix, Fram, Beck Arnley, OEM and probably more that I can't remember.

No real preference beyond price and convenience of procuring the filter. This most recent swap (last weekend) was overdue given the level of dirt in the old filter (really should have taken pics) and the apparent level of restriction it was causing. AC is working quite a bit better since the swap. :)

Just replaced my factory cab filter in my 17 Tundra with a Toyota charcoal filter . see how it goes for the next year,Factory one was all sorts of dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back