I tried Mobil Super Synthetic 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually run Motorcraft 5w20 in my Mustang GT 4.6l engine. I’ve tried Valvoline blend, but usually stick with Motorcraft. Well I decided to do the Mobil Oil rebate thing (which I still haven’t received) and purchased Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20. Could it be that it is in my head that my engine sounds different? I’m not going to say bad, but just little sounds here and there that I’ve never heard coming from engine before I used Mobil Oil. Or is there actually something that is in the Motorcraft oil that quiets my engine in a way that Mobil Super Synth doesn’t?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
It’s the Motorcraft ... best oil and filters made ...

I hope that you wrote this as sarcasm.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

wink.gif

Last edited:
Could be a viscocity thing. Different 5w20s have a range of viscocities that fit the criteria.

Maybe motorcraft is on the thicker end. Check the pqia website.

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
I used Mobil super synthetic a few years ago in 2001 Taurus and thought it ran very quiet.

It’s in our Fusion Hybrid … so quiet you can hear the tires on the driveway
wink.gif

So it looks like from replies so far, it’s probably in my head and I’m hearing things. So then I have to ask, I’ve read in some threads about Castrol Magnatec quieting valves and such. Any truth to that or is that also mere speculation?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I tried Motorcraft oil in both my Ford's. Not a good oil. Not a bad oil. Look at the PQIA site. NOAK and TBN are terrible. A 3-5K oil. They had to test it several times to barely make the NOAK limit.

It's a change-as you-drive oil. I was adding a quart to both Ford's at 500 miles! PCV hose was dripping oil. Haven't had that problem with any other oils. It didn't stay in there past 1k.

Originally Posted By: ddhmax1973
So it looks like from replies so far, it’s probably in my head and I’m hearing things. So then I have to ask, I’ve read in some threads about Castrol Magnatec quieting valves and such. Any truth to that or is that also mere speculation?

The Super Synthetic was noisy in our 14 year-old vehicles. It also consumed more oil.
I'll never buy it again.

I think typically synthetic oils run noisier than conventionals, just been my observation over the years. Not that it means any less wear protection, only sure way to tell is a UOA!

I don't think it's in your head, you know your vehicle/engine better than anyone.

So then I have to ask, I’ve read in some threads about Castrol Magnatec quieting valves and such. Any truth to that or is that also mere speculation?

Try it and see. That's the only way to find out for sure.

I've got MSS in the newer Forester right now and it seems okay.
I used it because it was dirt cheap AMIR and store deals and I couldn't see any point in using a more costly oil for a warm weather run in a car that calls for 6K drains.
The engine sounds just as it did on its last run of M1 AFE and fuel economy remains about where I would expect in warm weather conditions with lower RVP summer blend fuel.

I don't think its in your head, its your car you know it best. If the Motorcraft is a synblend theres probably a viscosity difference. I know my scion has a slightly different valve train sound between different synthetic oils.

Thanks for the replies! I’ve never used Mobil Oil Super Synthetic before so I had no idea how it would perform. Additionally after a couple of hundreds miles, I’m now having a burnt oil smell. That’s definitely not in my head. Ive checked the dipstick a few times, and it’s still right on the level and still looks like new light brown color. I’ve also checked around the oil filter and bottom of engine to see if some oil leaked around while changing. It’s all clean. I’m just going to agree with some of the replies that the Mobil Super Synth 5w20 is a lot thinner than the synth blend Motorcraft. So along with the different sounds and the burnt oil smell, I’m going to change the oil to something else. I’m sure Mobil Super Synth is a good oil, but just not for my particular engine. Maybe I will try the Pennzoil since they are currently having a rebate.....

I also used Mobil 1 in my `13 GT & the engine was noisier. I`ve been using Motorcraft since. Much quiter (to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back