Mobil 1 annual protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
I'll never trust oil for 1 year my oil is black as tar and smells like gas in 5k

This seems like the low information approach.
Why not base it in real data or information?
Then you can make an intelligent, informed choice.

Isn't that better than guessing?!?

Hey listen opinions are like butts, everyone has them. That's my feeling so keep your dipstick tamed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never trust oil for 1 year my oil is black as tar and smells like gas in 5k

I have been doing 10K OCIs for 40 years in all types of engines and have never seen what you are referring to.

The oil in my Mercedes is about 15 months old and still looks and smells fine. It has about 6k miles on it. It will be changed soon, but I think it would go longer with no trouble. I change it in that car typically at 12 to 14 months. It doesn't get a lot of miles on it, but runs great and the oil always looks good. It rarely does short trips, though. I run Mobil 1 0w40 Euro formula in it.

I'm about to change my non-annual protection oil for a 6000 mile OCI. For what you paid and as good as your oil is supposed to be, you should be able to go even longer.

Mine currently has 9,000 and looks medium clear brown, not even a little bit black

How long an OCI to use is a matter of the engine in question, the oil used as well as how the car is operated.
I have little doubt that I could safely use AP for 20K in my '12 Accord given that it isn't a DI engine and that it typically gets run more than twenty fairly easy miles on a start.
Some would question the wisdom of running any 0W-20 in an engine with chain driven OHC for that long, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back