Network Ports - How Can I Check Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
How can I tell if the following network ports are open and functional?

The latest version of "Dell SupportAssist" doesn't work and I'm trying to figure out why. Previous version worked, so wondering if maybe the network port requirements might be the issue.

do you have any kind of internet security/firewall installed?
what router are you using.

Originally Posted By: Rand
do you have any kind of internet security/firewall installed?
what router are you using.

Yes, Windows 7 with firewall enabled. Using a CenturyLink modem.

The modem-router by default will have all ports open for outgoing connections and all ports closed to incoming connections.

If these are outgoing connections you may need to do something in windows firewall.

Last edited:
If those are incoming ports that need to be open, you can scan yourself with something like:
https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

More difficult to test outgoing. The way I'd do it is install DU Meter, then look if the software in question is connected to those ports on whatever host(s) Dell runs that the software connects to.
Just difficult to read the "View network connections..." "Open TCP Connections" for non-professionals, or maybe not.

Are these ports controlled in the modem settings? Where is it that they can be enabled or not?

The software only calls out, and I doubt there is anything blocking those ports outgoing, given the device you are using. Is this the most recent version of the program from the Dell support site? I generally dislike those programs for a variety of reasons, but why do you think you need it?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The software only calls out, and I doubt there is anything blocking those ports outgoing, given the device you are using. Is this the most recent version of the program from the Dell support site? I generally dislike those programs for a variety of reasons, but why do you think you need it?

Yes, it's the latest version of "Dell SupportAssist". Like said earlier, the previous version worked fine. SupportAssist actually did an auto-update, wasn't my choice - there's probably a setting I can change to make it not auto-update.

SupportAssist is actually kind of handy because it runs based on my specific machine (ie, tag number) and knows if I have outdated drivers, BIOS, etc. It also has a bunch of diagnostic tools for memory, HD, monitor, etc.

I even uninstalled the non-working SupportAssist and went to Dell's website to do a fresh install which looked to go well, but it still doesn't load when I launch it.

You really don't need SupportAssist.

You can get all those drivers, bios updates, and etc. from just going to the Dell website, and entering the tag number.

It's been a while since my last Dell. It should have a hidden partition that the Dell software uses to set the machine back to as it came from the factory. My memory is fading on this one, but I recall that it was accessed with a function key. Dell should have instructions on how to recover to factory on their website.

You might have a recovery disk that came with the Dell that has the imaging software/recovery on it.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
You really don't need SupportAssist.

You can get all those drivers, bios updates, and etc. from just going to the Dell website, and entering the tag number.

True, I probably don't need half the software on my computer. But I did like some of the features SupportAssist provided.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
It's been a while since my last Dell. It should have a hidden partition that the Dell software uses to set the machine back to as it came from the factory. My memory is fading on this one, but I recall that it was accessed with a function key. Dell should have instructions on how to recover to factory on their website.

You might have a recovery disk that came with the Dell that has the imaging software/recovery on it.

I don't need to recover anything really - got way too many updates, etc on this computer to start from scratch. It's just that the new version of SupportAssist doesn't work on my computer, even though it meets all the requirements for the software to work. I think Dell has an installation bug or code issue going on with the new version since the auto update and my fresh manual installation both don't work.

Originally Posted By: spackard
If those are incoming ports that need to be open, you can scan yourself with something like:

I used that port scanning tool and it says all those ports I listed in my first post were "closed" when the tool is using my "Public IPv4 Address".

So I'm wondering if that's the issue, or is it something else? I would think that the installation program from Dell would check or configure ports that were required.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I used that port scanning tool and it says all those ports I listed in my first post were "closed" when the tool is using my "Public IPv4 Address".

So I'm wondering if that's the issue, or is it something else? I would think that the installation program from Dell would check or configure ports that were required.

No, those ports are supposed to be closed to the outside world. As long as the software can get OUT, that's what matters, and those tools do not check for that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, those ports are supposed to be closed to the outside world. As long as the software can get OUT, that's what matters, and those tools do not check for that.

How can I tell if ports 5700, 9012, 8883, 8884, 8885 & 8886 are "open" for outgoing?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Another great place to check ports and find all kinds of resources is at grc.com.

I went there, and I'm assuming you are talking about their tool called "SheildsUP", the link is located down about 2/3 down from the top of this page: https://www.grc.com/default.htm

I ran most of the SheildsUP tests, and it showed that all my ports are in "Stealth" status. Apparently this means the ports don't show up as "existing" to the outside world ... but I'm not sure if that also means it could be closed, but in a "Stealth" way.

https://www.grc.com/su/portstatusinfo.htm

I also did a custom 'port probe' on ports 5700, 9012, 8883 thru 8886 and all show up as "Stealth".

Update - I tried opening Dell SupportAssist tonight and it worked. I didn't change anything, so apparently it was something on their end. Weird ...
21.gif

Update - I tried opening Dell SupportAssist tonight and it worked. I didn't change anything, so apparently it was something on their end. Weird ...
21.gif

Which sounds correct. Basic home routers don't block anything outgoing, the "firewalling" happens on incoming traffic and is essentially an artifact of NAT/PAT.

Actual firewall solutions like a Cisco ASA, Juniper SSG, Sophos XG...etc require you have rules to permit outgoing traffic otherwise nothing goes anywhere. These get extremely granular but are massively more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back